real time web analytics
Report - - Ferrybridge Powerstation / LCPD Bingo Full house - 2014 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ferrybridge Powerstation / LCPD Bingo Full house - 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

m9

big in japan
Regular User
It was another one of those errr, 'special' moments.

hide.jpg

Lying perfectly still, flat on my face under a pipe-set in 2 inches of freezing cold filthy water, while the owner of some high-vised legs I could see though the steam whistling out a nearby dumpvalve inspected the pipes above my head. 10 seconds ago I had been having a nice wee in a bush feeling rather pleased at how the three of us had managed to non-destructively enter and stroll around a live 2GW powerstation without being clocked, now, I was getting an absolute soaking from head to toe from the puddle i'd had to dive in to avoid being seen by the nightshift.

I was a bit worried, but to say I was absolutely bricking it would actually be an overestimation. In fact, this absurd predicament the three of us were now caught up in (and through some outrageous good luck seemed to be getting away with) felt disconcertingly normal. It's a fucking good job this was the last on the list, as while I think we've gotten quite good at sneaking into some of the most secure civilian facilities in the UK bar prisons, being comfortable with being a stray fart from rumbled in a live UK powerstation is not a place you really want to be if you care for your arrest tally.

fer%206.jpg

This is the final stop on our little project to sneak into all the Large Combustion Plant Directive opt-outs, a weird little self-styled journey me and jobs embarked on about 18 months ago after sneaking into Didcot A before they took it to bits. Managing to beat such an impossibly difficult problem was extremely addictive, and we wanted more, and in the following months of 2014 we ticked off Fawley, Ironbridge B, Grain, Littlebrook D, Tilbury B, Kingsnorth and Cockenzie (which we were unfortunately a bit late for). I wanted to finish it before the year was out, and happily did so. God knows what I'm going to have to keep me occupied this year..

Anyway, Ferrybridge is on the LCPD list, but it's not got a close date as they're making it multifuel. They've switched off units 1 and 2, which is where we figured we could enter and have more than a gnats bollock of a chance of making into the turbine hall while the thing was still running and not be the cause a terror alert and helicopter dispatch.

Live powerstations are extremely stressful places to be and this was no exception (so the photos are a little sparse). Every time you poke your head from round a pipe, an access road or corner, you could be face to face with a worker who could call to initiate a plant shutdown, evacuation and immediate armed response.

....Nahhh, me neither.

But, we got away with it, and being in that hall with all that racket, and those remaining two units powering through at half a GW each, was pretty fucking special.

fer%205.jpg

fer%207.jpg

fer%208.jpg

fer%201.jpg

fer%209.jpg

fer%2010.jpg

We also managed a quick poke around the multifuel site that's being built, but it was cut short by nearly interrupting a hi-vis fag break and we had to make very silent but el rapido tracks.

fer%202.jpg

fer%203.jpg

fer%204.jpg

Doctors orders, full house, number 9

hallllsssss.jpg

bingo.

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
fucking yes boys!!! yet again your showing how things should be done!! like an unstoppable force that just keeps going :thumb Top shelf!!!

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
One does not simply Do one power station and give up!

nicely done mate you lot certainly do like to keep busy

professor frink

Reppin Bumbaclaat
28DL Full Member
Prop to you boys, if they didn't paint them in such photogenic vivid colours it wouldn't attract people.

When you come as close to that as getting caught it makes you feel so alive!

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Epic but also quite important. These places will be a thing of the past soon.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Superb effort all round these places certainly provide for some higher state of consciousness!!

It's hard to relax inside these sites and take it all in given how bait they are

I keep putting off posting my pics from the 5 we did as frankly they are dire high ISO hand held shitters, maybe if we bring back the fetid pit of despair :p:

The reports have been enjoyable and the tales you no doubt have from these places surely out weigh any pics/reports and look forward to hearing them over a beer one day..

I might myself get around to sticking some Gopro clips up :popcorn

Once again, Props, and certainly makes for an interesting tea time read :thumb :thumb

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User

flickr's been doing my nut this eve, so hope this works.... some photograms... all the same photos pretty much.

35mm when you literally can't think, see or feel because you have a sensual paralysis enforced by a healthy dose of fear and noise... big ballache!!

15602519063_c4d44d18d1_c.jpg

16036263959_42b8492476_z.jpg

16036263759_51b2ebc743_c.jpg

16036544667_2dcec41aa1_c.jpg

16221563322_d2b462d612_c.jpg

16222368605_3d4560dfdd_c.jpg

big love to nck & fb

:Not Worthy