real time web analytics
Report - - First Bus Depot, Rotherham, Dec 22 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - First Bus Depot, Rotherham, Dec 22

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Didn't plan on heading North again until the Spring, but I heard this was wide open, so decided to make the trip... Found time 4 weeks later, and it had unfortunately been sealed back up tight... Well mostly ;)

Doesn't appear that anybody has done a report on here before, so here goes!

The History -

Built around 1982 on the former site of the Midland Ironworks, the 17,000 square metre depot consists of maintenance faculties, cleaning facilities, a large canteen and admin offices. At its peak, the depot housed 230 drivers and 80 vehicles.

By 2016, the facility had become too large for First's needs, with the company making a loss by continuing to operate the site. They announced plans to close it and move most operations and staff to the nearby Olive Grove Road Depot in Sheffield, with some going to Doncaster, along with 20 redundancies. The site closed in February 2017.

Apparently the site subsequently saw use as a police firearms training facility, but I didn't see any evidence of this.

The site last saw use as a vaccination centre during the Covid-19 Pandemic, and is now up for sale, with or without demolition of the depot. I guess the local authority are fed up with spending £160k a year failing to keep it secure... :lol

The Explore -
(Photo Heavy)
Arrived on site early, having been told there were travellers present, so was aiming to explore while they were still asleep. Turns out the local authority managed to move them on pretty quick, because other than some piles of rubbish, there was no sign of them. The site had also been heavily resealed unfortunately.

My information said the front gates were open, a brand new fence has now been erected, so the walk in option was out! Wandered around the perimeter, and found multiple holes that had also been patched over. Having pretty much lost hope of getting in, I headed back towards the car. Thought I'd better check the only part of the perimeter I hadn't walked along, and it's lucky that I did, because there was a fire door conveniently left open for me!

Walked into a room that somebody had tried hard to torch... there was a sprinkler valve set in here, alongside a couple of bits on the wall. Disturbed a rat that had made itself at home too.
DSC03807.jpg

DSC03586.jpg

DSC03585.jpg

DSC03589.jpg

DSC03591.jpg

Proceeded through and the door out into the yard was also open, so I was in! Decided to stick with the ancillary buildings first, so I ducked into an open door immediately to the left of my access point.

Appeared to just contain toilets, so I headed up the stairs to see if there was anything else. I rounded the corner and was immediately greeted by a small gantry crane, and a sheer drop behind it.
DSC03600.jpg

DSC03601.jpg

Proceeding further into the room, there's an electrical room on the right, with fuse boxes for the ventilation etc for the toilets below. The rest of the floor is dominated by a series of large oil tanks, with separate tanks for each type of oil, such as gearbox and engine oil. At the end of the room was a locked door, and my favourite, some gauges.

DSC03614.jpg

DSC03609.jpg

DSC03611.jpg

DSC03623.jpg

DSC03621.jpg

Moving on from the oil room, I proceeded towards the Boiler House. It's got to be the best part of the explore, there's more in this one small building than over the rest of the site combined!

Straight in through the door is a small control room, didn't go in though, as the door was very stiff and extremely loud to move, so had a look through the window instead. All the electrics have been gutted, but you can still get an idea of the level of control afforded to the running of the boilers.

DSC03643.jpg

DSC03738.jpg

The Boiler House is, unsurprisingly, dominated by the 3 large boilers, with huge hoppers above them. The first 2 were coal fired, and the 3rd also appeared to be at one time, but has been converted to run on oil. You can see how coal was supplied to the boilers from the hoppers above here. It was fed into the boilers via an Archimedes Screw, contained within a pipe.

The Boilers -
DSC03652.jpg

DSC03656.jpg

DSC03647.jpg

DSC03658.jpg

DSC03662.jpg

DSC03663.jpg

DSC03661.jpg

DSC03684.jpg

DSC03692.jpg

Behind the boilers are water pumps of various descriptions, with gauges and control panels galore. Very photogenic :thumb

DSC03681.jpg

DSC03679.jpg

DSC03724.jpg

DSC03727.jpg

DSC03730.jpg

I had to go up the ladders to get a view from above... The hoppers for the two coal fired boilers are still full of coal!

The walkway above the Boilers -
DSC03702.jpg

Coal Hoppers -
DSC03706.jpg

DSC03711.jpg

Made my way back down and moved over to the maintenance sheds. Massive inside, and empty... Few small details dotted around, but not really all that much to be seen. I'd imagine it was a very different atmosphere back in the day.

Maintenance Sheds -
DSC03835.jpg

DSC03825.jpg

DSC03752.jpg

Safety Notices -
DSC03743.jpg

DSC03745.jpg

DSC03759.jpg

Interesting things dotted about -
DSC03820.jpg

DSC03772.jpg

DSC03754.jpg

Moved on through to the admin area, found a safe in the offices but left quickly, smelt like a sewer, not sure if that was down to the travellers or something else, but I wasn't hanging around as the stench was unbearably overpowering. I don't know if there's anything decent hiding back there in some of the offices, probably is knowing my luck :lol
DSC03793.jpg

There was some classrooms in this section, but they were in a dire state with nothing noteworthy to look at, so I went back on myself to finish the maintenance sheds, as the classrooms were close to the road and there was a fair bit of traffic going past at this point.

Came out in what I'm assuming was the parking area for buses... another large empty area, but there's a couple of bits to look at, including the bus wash area, and an electrical room.

DSC03774.jpg

Bus Mural -
DSC03802.jpg

Bus Wash -
DSC03815.jpg

DSC03818.jpg

Electrical Room -
DSC03784.jpg

DSC03806.jpg

Finished the explore by heading to the upstairs section in the maintenance area of the sheds, nothing much to be seen, bar more electrical panels that are in a poor state. Found a few more gauges outside on my way out of the site at least!

DSC03838.jpg

DSC03836.jpg

DSC03691.jpg

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Did this place a few weekends ago but not got round to posting it yet. Yup, decent mouch and a great set of pics there mate...

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice report, I'm liking the look of that boiler house. Also, I love the shot of all those yellow stairs in the Maintenance Shed part.

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks all :)
Cracking photos, must take a trip and see if my big carcass can get in!
Highly doubt my access point will be open for very long if it even still is, given how quickly the site was resecured, I was very lucky! So if you're a long way away, make sure you have other locations to do just in case :lol

JaffaTB

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I visited here a few times but the travellers bang at the side of the gate put me off a bit, i might revisit if they are gone :)

Who has read this thread (Total: 150) View details