real time web analytics
Report - - First Exploration, Oct 2011, Whittingham Asylum | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - First Exploration, Oct 2011, Whittingham Asylum

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

oneida

28DL Member
28DL Member
After reading and looking at loads of Urban websites particularly 28DL :thumb, I thought I'd give it ago myself.
So one morning after going out with a good friend catching the sunrise with our cameras I remembered about a disused hospital that a friend had mentioned.
With no idea where it was or what it was called, just the area, I didn't know where to start :banghead, so out came the iphones, with a bit of digging I found it: Whittingham Asylum :)
See what you think this is my first exploration! :popcorn

Whittingham Asylum
Whttingham Hospital, Longridge, Preston Lancashire, opened its doors on 1st April 1873, made from bricks produced on site.
The hospital had four main wards with a Sanatorium for patients with infectious diseases.
The hospital also had an onsite brewery the ale was given to the patients as part of their daily diet.
In 1918 the name of Whittingham changed from Whittingham Asylum to Whittingham Mental Hospital.
The Mental Health Act of 1960 deemed large institutions like Whittingham to be out of favour and ultimately led to it's closure.
Allegations of cruelty to patients in the 60's led to a public inquiry.

Whittingham1Front.jpg

Whittingham1.jpg

Whittingham15.jpg

Whittingham19.jpg

Whittingham23.jpg

Whittingham48.jpg

Whittingham25.jpg

Whittingham28.jpg

Whittingham30.jpg

Whittingham40.jpg

Whittingham41.jpg

Whittingham50.jpg