real time web analytics
Report - - Fison's Fertiliser Factory - Bramford - October 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fison's Fertiliser Factory - Bramford - October 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
Fisons PLC was made up of many constituent parts and had absorbed other companies over the years. Prior to 1942 it was known as Fisons, Packard and Prentice Ltd (FPP), these three main companies having amalgamated in 1929 during the agricultural depression. Edward Packard was one of the pioneers of manufacturing chemical fertilisers and built at Bramford the first complete acid and superphosphate factory in the 1850’s. His son, also Edward, carried on the business which grew and was incorporated in 1895 as Edward Packard and Co Ltd, with a capital of £100,000.

In the early 1980s the company decided to focus on pharmaceutical products and its fertiliser activities were sold to Norsk Hydro in 1982.

Many years of successful growth were financed by sales of sodium cromoglycate in a variety of formulations used to treat asthma and allergies of the eye among several disease areas. However, the loss of lucrative product licences for Opticrom and Imferon in the USA in 1991 and the failure of clinical trials for Tipredane, an asthma drug, in 1993 revealed bleak prospects for the business.

In early 1995 the Instruments Division was sold to US Thermo Instrument Systems while the research and development facilities in Loughborough and Rochester, New York, with their pipelines were acquired by the Swedish company Astra AB.

In late 1995 Fisons was acquired by the United States-based Rhone-Poulenc Rorer, Inc., which in turn was wholly owned by France's chemical giant Rhone-Poulenc S.A.

The site was fully shutdown by 2002.

The Explore
Visited with @porkerofthenight . After a certain event on the beers the night before we were feeling a little worse for wear in the morning so decided to take a chilled wander after a big fry up to this place to let the hangover pass before heading home. The old section is wonderful, even though it is gutted the inner structure is all in tact, wooden beams, stair sets and the old original metal and wooden chutes. Surprisingly this building is mostly untouched by vandals which is amazing for a near on walk in explore. After a couple of hours and some fresh air we decided to head off.

On to the pictures,

8F_zpsut1idb9v.jpg

3F_zpsb9jkuoio.jpg

5F_zpsvhmwyopw.jpg

4F_zps4g3yniog.jpg

1F_zpsxr1vwhxy.jpg

2F_zpsiqunyc1m.jpg

6F_zpsrmrwdi9e.jpg

9F_zpsg2izezvw.jpg

10F_zpseer7yniq.jpg

12F_zps9y5qmpwm.jpg

11. If you was wondering on the third photo, yes was the answer ;)
Me%20f%20factory%20pixel_zpsuybrznnd.jpg

Cheers for having a ganders :thumb

Last edited:

Joe1978

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great pics pal, would like to visit this myself with some other 28dl members could you let me know abit more info on the location if you don't mind you can email me if you don't want to put it on here
[email protected] Thanks

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Great pics pal, would like to visit this myself with some other 28dl members could you let me know abit more info on the location if you don't mind you can email me if you don't want to put it on here
[email protected] Thanks

Posting your email on here is just going to end with much spam emails mate,this is why there is a private message system if you are able to use it

Nice pics mate the chute is always something your going to end up going down

Joe1978

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Posting your email on here is just going to end with much spam emails mate,this is why there is a private message system if you are able to use it

No did not know about the private message on 28dl not to worried bout the spam it was only created for this site and not a regular email address thanks for pointing it out tho. Got all the info I need for this place off google already been onto council for a perm visit cheers

Last edited:

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Oh 28 always keeps me entertained :D
Cheers fella :thumb