Web
Analytics
Report - - Forest Mills, Radford Nottingham. 26th June 2009 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Forest Mills, Radford Nottingham. 26th June 2009

layz

Conquistador d'Wolverton
28DL Full Member
#1
Hi guys,

I recently returned to this place having done a little more research in the local library.

Original Usage

The first lace factory on the site was built in the 1840s by John Lawson Thackeray (Later Mayor of Nottingham 1854-66). The Thackeray’s moved down from Manchester in the 1780’s to establish lace production away from the riots and ‘machine breakers’.

The products of his mill in Nottingham were considered of the finest and during the Great Exhibition of 1851 his lace thread was awarded a gold medal and subsequently earned a worldwide reputation for excellence.

The Mill was continually expanded over the mid 19th century and early 20th century as can be seen from the site today. The site appears to be a rather haphazard collection of buildings of different styles and ages.
During the 20th century failure to update methods and machinery and the lessening in demand for lace thread saw the end of John Lawson Thackeray & Sons in 1950


Later Usage

Like most Victorian mills, Forest mill was broken up in to smaller factory outlets during the 50s-80s with the majority of activity on site ceasing in 1981.
The office block building attached was used as drop in centre for ‘ladies of the night’ until 2005.


Today

The two main buildings (dating from the 19th Century) had their pitched roofs removed a few years ago due to fire damage and overall structural instability. These buildings can be distinguished inside by the use of two different styles of column and outside by the different styles of lintel.

The overall site:
Untitled-1.jpg


Picture004.jpg


Live fire riser:
Picture029.jpg


Overlooking the two main mill buildings, note the different lintel styles:
Picture060.jpg


Anyone know what this is?:
Picture032.jpg


Picture0w84.jpg


Earlier column style, possibly cast-iron:
Picture297.jpg


Later column style:
Picture310.jpg


The late C19th extension:
Picture071-1.jpg


Nice:
Picture069.jpg


Spread-pigeon:
Picture096.jpg
 

Attachments

Similar threads