real time web analytics
Report - - Fort Amherst, Medway, May 2017 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fort Amherst, Medway, May 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mikeg303

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Actually Princes Sunken Courtyard.
My apologies.

History.

This Fort has a ton of history, link to the wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Amherst

Here’s a brief rundown.

“Originally constructed during Napoleonic times in preparation for a possible invasion, Chatham’s Fort Amherst was also used as a civil defence centre in both world wars.

The primary purpose of all the Medway fortifications was the defence of the Naval Dockyard. This was largely the result of the Raid on the Medway in 1667.

n 1779, during the construction, workmen found an existing foundation of a Roman building. Several finds, including pieces of Roman brick and tile, were made.

During the Napoleonic wars (1803–15) the Chatham defences were enlarged and considerably strengthened.

The fort was still in use during the WW2 when it served as an Air Raid Warning command post.”

Fun explore, such an impressive structure.

Photo time.

View From Higher Ground.

27060246839_bccdbc8acf_b.jpg

27060218289_5b8992a10b_b.jpg

24964163618_7ae4ae57ab_b.jpg

38836710141_9faf9855d3_b.jpg

24964197818_c19e23500a_b.jpg

24964195128_b2be9317af_b.jpg

38836706301_6de9704b79_b.jpg

24964192478_6015ce47d8_b.jpg

38836703461_8583a336e4_b.jpg

27060253409_417d0ccec2_b.jpg

27060252409_edfecf9d11_b.jpg

27060251659_f57b9a9d9d_b.jpg

24964179448_19e3a3d9b0_b.jpg

27060250249_a7628e98b1_b.jpg

24964174288_8362c7c285_b.jpg

24964171258_d041a43397_b.jpg

24964163618_7ae4ae57ab_b.jpg

38120648894_7be8f5c773_b.jpg

Smile

24964159568_ae286bd64e_b.jpg

24964156958_4375d18cfe_b.jpg

23971385417_a04e1979f5_b.jpg

View from on top

27060247709_79ec1c51f6_b.jpg

The row of cannons

24964153308_670b9b7cff_b.jpg

38805661282_c7f9beefb6_b.jpg

Thanks for looking:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
This is the Princes sunken courtyard, barracks and caponier parts of the unrestored parts of Fort Amherst. Very nice photos and well presented. :thumb:thumb

I would suggest editing how you got there. This page is watched, and various volunteers from the Fort are on here. Disclosing access is not great for the Fort. They try to keep people out due to heavy vandalism, and an 800 yr old sink being smashed up. I also find it strange that you could found your way to the back entrance to the museum. That area is restricted, two gates and gurkhas do patrol it. Also cctv is around.

I wouldnt advise going near that working part without permission.

mikeg303

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is the Princes sunken courtyard, barracks and caponier parts of the unrestored parts of Fort Amherst. Very nice photos and well presented. :thumb:thumb

I would suggest editing how you got there. This page is watched, and various volunteers from the Fort are on here. Disclosing access is not great for the Fort. They try to keep people out due to heavy vandalism, and an 800 yr old sink being smashed up. I also find it strange that you could found your way to the back entrance to the museum. That area is restricted, two gates and gurkhas do patrol it. Also cctv is around.

I wouldnt advise going near that working part without permission.

Thank you Calamity Jane
I appreciate the feedback.
I assumed it was the rear of the museum as there were to big black gates.

Calamity Jane

Regular User
Thank you Calamity Jane
I appreciate the feedback.
I assumed it was the rear of the museum as there were to big black gates.

Ah ok. Were they on the bend , Caponier one way, and barracks along the long wall? If so, thats ok. After those gates its a little walk to the volunteers hut and back entrance , and that long gravelly road is patrolled by the gurkhas, who train next door. Your safe then. No camera that side of gate.

Well done on a good report and great photos. Lovely there isnt it.

Just never put how you got to a place, it then makes landowners, etc seal those ways off. Just a heads up :D

mikeg303

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah ok. Were they on the bend , Caponier one way, and barracks along the long wall? If so, thats ok. After those gates its a little walk to the volunteers hut and back entrance , and that long gravelly road is patrolled by the gurkhas, who train next door. Your safe then. No camera that side of gate.

Well done on a good report and great photos. Lovely there isnt it.

Just never put how you got to a place, it then makes landowners, etc seal those ways off. Just a heads up :D

Yes thats the one, arh good:rolleyes:
I definitely wouldn't of wanted to bump in to them.

Thank you, yes it really was.
Appreciate your advice, I got carried away with the story telling haha:oops:

Calamity Jane

Regular User
Yes thats the one, arh good:rolleyes:
I definitely wouldn't of wanted to bump in to them.

Thank you, yes it really was.
Appreciate your advice, I got carried away with the story telling haha:oops:

No worries, I did too my first few reports. Its ok to describe where youve been first, then just say something like " after leaving we wandered around unknown wooded area or such " thats all. Some people on here are so clued up, they will put 2 + 2 together quite quickly. others rely on a map lol. keep up the great reports :thumb

ManBearPig25

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This was a good day out! Shame I deleted most of the photos i took in a mad rush to make more space on my SSD a month or so ago lol.

Calamity Jane

Regular User
This was a good day out! Shame I deleted most of the photos i took in a mad rush to make more space on my SSD a month or so ago lol.

Ah thats a shame. Dont you back them up onto a pc/hard drive/passport/ ? I lost nearly 20,000 photos from 10yrs of exploring before, Never again. So I now back everything up .

Glad you had a nice wander, some of it is lovely. Didnt see the washroom, or didnt you spot it?

mikeg303

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah thats a shame. Dont you back them up onto a pc/hard drive/passport/ ? I lost nearly 20,000 photos from 10yrs of exploring before, Never again. So I now back everything up .

Glad you had a nice wander, some of it is lovely. Didnt see the washroom, or didnt you spot it?

No, dam we didnt spot that.
I bet you're going to tell me it was somewhere obvious and we walked straight passed it

Calamity Jane

Regular User
No, dam we didnt spot that.
I bet you're going to tell me it was somewhere obvious and we walked straight passed it

lol. It was along that wall, pass the barracks, and other small entrance, its the very end one, so yep sorry it was very close by lol:D

ManBearPig25

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

For some reason i didn't back them up at the time :/ I have a portable harddrive i use just for that as well. Tbf most of my shots weren't that great anyway, I wasn't as prepared for the day as Mikeg303 was haha. I only have a few left from here and a few from later in the day when we hit up the forts at Dover.

The washroom? That wasn't the room past the cannons was it because if it was i didn't get far into there, giant black spiders caused me to freak out and bail on looking further in lol I think that moment was caught on video as well haha

Last edited:

mikeg303

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
lol. It was along that wall, pass the barracks, and other small entrance, its the very end one, so yep sorry it was very close by lol:D

That's a shame!:(
If I knew I was heading there I would of looked in to it with more depth lol.
It was a brilliant accidental find.:D

mikeg303

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
For some reason i didn't back them up at the time :/ I have a portable harddrive i use just for that as well. Tbf most of my shots weren't that great anyway, I wasn't as prepared for the day as Mikeg303 was haha. I only have a few left from here and a few from later in the day when we hit up the forts at Dover.

The washroom? That wasn't the room past the cannons was it because if it was i didn't get far into there, giant black spiders caused me to freak out and bail on looking further in lol I think that moment was caught on video as well haha

Working on the Report for that now, shame we left the tripod in a bag in the car. Still using stones and the floor as a tripod worked to a certain extent.

Was that moment caught on the go pro? I'll have to have a rummage and find it for you haha:thumb

Calamity Jane

Regular User

No the other way. The canons line the path to the caponier, just before you walk up there, if you had walked along the grass bit the other way, at the very end of the wall opposite it is the washrooms. ;)

ManBearPig25

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Working on the Report for that now, shame we left the tripod in a bag in the car. Still using stones and the floor as a tripod worked to a certain extent.

Was that moment caught on the go pro? I'll have to have a rummage and find it for you haha:thumb

Aye that was a bummer but yeah you still got some decent shots in there. I did as well....."sigh" :( That mini forest growing in the middle of it was pretty cool, I've still got a couple shots of that. We weren't well prepared for those forts though, the lack of proper torches for one thing lol

Yes im pretty sure it was caught on the go pro, you can hear me in the background saying something along the lines of "bugger this, theres giant spiders in here" lol

No the other way. The canons line the path to the caponier, just before you walk up there, if you had walked along the grass bit the other way, at the very end of the wall opposite it is the washrooms. ;)

Ah yup we missed that lol We'll have to do another visit one day!