real time web analytics
Report - - Fort South Sutor, Cromarty - January 2013 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fort South Sutor, Cromarty - January 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

albannach

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I know North Sutor (across the water in Nigg has ben done a few times and this one was a few years back but I went into the whole site which wasn't in the other report, so into the area where there are Wild Boar... - someone breeding them I think.) Anyway the pigs were all asleep, only noticed me after id left and I left them at it. They were like secca, patrolling but keeping to their hut mainly.

Brief history:
The Sutors of Cromarty are two opposing headlands which mark the entrance to the Cromarty Firth. The North Sutor rises to 147 metres (486 ft), while the South Sutor reaches 140 metres (463 ft).
The Sutors stand guard over the firth, and many stories have been told about them. Sutor is the Scots word for shoemaker, and one story tells of two giant shoemakers, the sutors, who used the two cliffs as their workbenches, and tossed their tools to and fro between one another.
Both North Sutor and South Sutor carry the remains of substantial military gun emplacements, coastal batteries built in the early 20th century to protect and defend the naval anchorage in the firth, which saw service during both World War I and, to a lesser degree, World War II, but was abandoned by the 1950s. Built before the outbreak of World War I, this protection included elaborate defences to protect the firth from U-Boats, including not only the batteries, but a Boom Defence and Minefield, together with Lookout and Observation Posts, and Searchlight Batteries.

I passed two small bunkers on the way in but all my pics are from the lower section. An overcast day but I enjoyed it. Sorry if pic heavy!

Sutor_zps1034aed1.jpg

One of the gun turrets
view_zpsab738ab3.jpg

The view across the firth, from the gun turret
view2_zps95082ea7.jpg

From behind the turrets, up the hill
top_zps3ad021d9.jpg

Gun turret and magazine I think it's called on the right, I thought the box might be a weather measuring thing...I was wrong
bunker_zpseb957452.jpg

Doors open to reveal some a ladder into pitch darkness...
Happybunker_zpse226f4f1.jpg

Where the bunker was happy to see me!
dead_zps05e85c1e.jpg

Something crunched underfoot...a boar piglet? A chihuahua? I dont know but there were two...
chair_zps365a17f5.jpg

Cliched but necessary
stair_zps1a35113d.jpg

Stairs leading down to the back of the bunker, doors rusted shut long ago.
tower_zps89232d30.jpg

"Tower"
water_zpsd3196a69.jpg

There was another bunker, at the bottom of the ladder you had to crawl to reach the rooms but they were flooded, deep.
posts_zps384bc4a6.jpg

Two great looking posts just by the sea, unfortunately I never got down to them this time
boar_zps9ba8ca5f.jpg

Boaris Johnson, my pal who checked me out a few times but didn't seem too fussed, this was taken after I was out, he's a big lad.

Cheers!