real time web analytics
Report - - Bastion No.1 -December 2023, Swale | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bastion No.1 -December 2023, Swale

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Elcamino;)

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Often mistaken for the nearby Centre Bastion or somehow the fort at Garrison Point (by clickbaiters and idiots), Bastion Number 1 was part of the “Sheerness Lines” which is basically like the Western Heights or Chatham Lines of Sheppey but with a water-filled moat.
The old Sheerness Lines were built by Bernard De Gomme in order to help fortify the docks after an unfinished fort was absolutely trampled during the Dutch raid of 1667. However over time, the lines were expanded to cover the coasts of Blue Town and West Minster.
This Bastion in particular was built in between 1780 and 1794 on the corner of the moat between the coast and the main entrance to the dockyard and it’s defences(the Ravelin.). Centre Bastion along with Bastions 2, 3, Curtain Battery and Demi-Bastion Number 4.
The most noticeable part of this bastion other than it’s WW2 gunhouses is the gun pit; being a lot deeper than your average one at Citadel Battery or somewhere similar. This is due to the fact that the gun that would have operated in this pit was a moncrieff disappearing gun. This gun was fuelled by an ammunition shaft connected to the underground magazines that were backfilled by the port, likely illegally, in 2014. Next to the entrance of the magazine is a backfilled shell store you can see from a light passage in the cartridge store. Fair to say it’s in shit condition unlike the cartridge store, which may or may not have been swept and used as a base by a certain someone in 2017;) Further along towards the other side of the Bastion were two more magazines. Magazine number 2 was accessible until the landowners backfilled it in 2014 while magazine 3 is seemingly demolished but hard to examine as it’s on the other side of the dockyard fence with a spigot mortar gun emplacement above it although there do appear to be ruins there. The inside of magazine number 2 was smaller than number 1 but also weirder, having water tanks in one the store rooms. I’ll attach a picture from 2014 if I remember. Also there used to be a large building in part of the bastion used by the docks named the grand magazine that was unfortunately demolished years ago.

WW I and II time now

So in WW1 a mine control post was built next to the gun pit with a shelter under the stairs behind it. In WW2 new gun positions were built in the form if two red brick gun houses facing the sea. One if these has a shelter or office of some kind below it, it’s really murky down there, love the atmosphere. Just a shame about the recent graffiti. Both gun houses have massive holes in the wall which could easily be mistaken for part of an unfinished demolition attempt but are actually because it was hard to remove the guns and so holes in walls were made.

IMG_8569.jpeg

IMG_8537.jpeg

IMG_8560.jpeg

IMG_8566.jpeg

IMG_8556.jpeg

IMG_8551.jpeg

IMG_8550.jpeg

IMG_8557.jpeg

IMG_3065.jpeg

IMG_3060.jpeg

IMG_8542.jpeg

IMG_8538.jpeg

IMG_8537.jpeg

IMG_8583.jpeg

IMG_8520.jpeg

IMG_8521.jpeg

IMG_8526.jpeg

IMG_8527.jpeg

IMG_8528.jpeg

IMG_8573.jpeg

IMG_8572.jpeg

IMG_8580.jpeg

IMG_8578.jpeg

IMG_8579.jpeg

W0LF

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Often mistaken for the nearby Centre Bastion or somehow the fort at Garrison Point (by clickbaiters and idiots), Bastion Number 1 was part of the “Sheerness Lines” which is basically like the Western Heights or Chatham Lines of Sheppey but with a water-filled moat.
The old Sheerness Lines were built by Bernard De Gomme in order to help fortify the docks after an unfinished fort was absolutely trampled during the Dutch raid of 1667. However over time, the lines were expanded to cover the coasts of Blue Town and West Minster.
This Bastion in particular was built in between 1780 and 1794 on the corner of the moat between the coast and the main entrance to the dockyard and it’s defences(the Ravelin.). Centre Bastion along with Bastions 2, 3, Curtain Battery and Demi-Bastion Number 4.
The most noticeable part of this bastion other than it’s WW2 gunhouses is the gun pit; being a lot deeper than your average one at Citadel Battery or somewhere similar. This is due to the fact that the gun that would have operated in this pit was a moncrieff disappearing gun. This gun was fuelled by an ammunition shaft connected to the underground magazines that were backfilled by the port, likely illegally, in 2014. Next to the entrance of the magazine is a backfilled shell store you can see from a light passage in the cartridge store. Fair to say it’s in shit condition unlike the cartridge store, which may or may not have been swept and used as a base by a certain someone in 2017;) Further along towards the other side of the Bastion were two more magazines. Magazine number 2 was accessible until the landowners backfilled it in 2014 while magazine 3 is seemingly demolished but hard to examine as it’s on the other side of the dockyard fence with a spigot mortar gun emplacement above it although there do appear to be ruins there. The inside of magazine number 2 was smaller than number 1 but also weirder, having water tanks in one the store rooms. I’ll attach a picture from 2014 if I remember. Also there used to be a large building in part of the bastion used by the docks named the grand magazine that was unfortunately demolished years ago.

WW I and II time now

So in WW1 a mine control post was built next to the gun pit with a shelter under the stairs behind it. In WW2 new gun positions were built in the form if two red brick gun houses facing the sea. One if these has a shelter or office of some kind below it, it’s really murky down there, love the atmosphere. Just a shame about the recent graffiti. Both gun houses have massive holes in the wall which could easily be mistaken for part of an unfinished demolition attempt but are actually because it was hard to remove the guns and so holes in walls were made.

IMG_8569.jpeg

IMG_8537.jpeg

IMG_8560.jpeg

IMG_8566.jpeg

IMG_8556.jpeg

IMG_8551.jpeg

IMG_8550.jpeg

IMG_8557.jpeg

IMG_3065.jpeg

IMG_3060.jpeg

IMG_8542.jpeg

IMG_8538.jpeg

IMG_8537.jpeg

IMG_8583.jpeg

IMG_8520.jpeg

IMG_8521.jpeg

IMG_8526.jpeg

IMG_8527.jpeg

IMG_8528.jpeg

IMG_8573.jpeg

IMG_8572.jpeg

IMG_8580.jpeg

IMG_8578.jpeg

IMG_8579.jpeg
That's really cool mate

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Nice report mate. Good little read. Often overlooked these relics but they are quite interesting. Much harder since the stuck that new fence around them

Elcamino;)

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report mate. Good little read. Often overlooked these relics but they are quite interesting. Much harder since the stuck that new fence around them
Thank you man! Yeah I’m a little surprised with how overlooked these bits are considering a lot of similar places are being done to death these days-I thought people would be more willing to check out new places😅 Yeah the new fence is a bugger-makes reaching Martello Battery a lot more awkward. Still, nothing hard enough to prevent a new report on it though😉

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice report. I recently visited Minister and in the gate house at the cathedral, was a booklet about loads of Sheppey forts and old castles etc. It seems that there is a lot of history around that way.

Elcamino;)

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report. I recently visited Minister and in the gate house at the cathedral, was a booklet about loads of Sheppey forts and old castles etc. It seems that there is a lot of history around that way.
Many thanks:) Ahh that gatehouse is pretty cool! I’ll have to go again and look for the book! Yeah there’s tones of history!