real time web analytics
Report - - Fort Tourgis - Alderney (Channel Islands) July 2010 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fort Tourgis - Alderney (Channel Islands) July 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

B

Bry

I don't think this fort has been well covered on this site, so here's a very brief history.
Fort Tourgis is an extensive fortification in Alderney to the north west of St Anne. First constructed by the British government in 1855 in order to provide defense for the Alderney Breakwater, a major construction project at the time. It was adapted by German occupying forces during World War II.
It had been used to house soldiers up until relatively recently (60s or 70s I think), as some old objects such as fridges and a typewriter are sparsely scattered around the fort.

The building itself is absolutely huge, and while the stone part of the building is sound, the floorboards and inner are almost totally decayed. I put my foot through a rotten floorboard many a time. What remains, however, is stunning.

As a personal piece of history, my elder brother was exploring the fort 2 years ago, when he stepped on a badly covered hole and fell 15ft to the 'room' below. He's perfectly fine now, but it adds some perspective to the danger of the building.

In 2008, plans were made to convert the fort into a 5 star hotel, but nothing yet has been done, possibly due to the economic state of the island, or due to the fact that the necessary work is extensive.

The view from the main courtyard
Tourgis1.jpg

Three floor collapse
Tourgis15.jpg

Floorboard collapse at one door
Tourgis10.jpg

Tourgis2.jpg

What I assume was the kitchen
Tourgis6.jpg

Tourgis7.jpg

A 'modern' bedroom
Tourgis4.jpg

Tourgis16.jpg

Third floor stairs
Tourgis5.jpg

Second floor collapse
Tourgis8.jpg

DSC_2406.jpg

The residential side of the fort consisted mainly of small rooms, such as this.
Tourgis13.jpg

I came across what I assumed were some sort of holding cells/prison within the fort
Tourgis14.jpg

This is me down the hole my brother fell down.
Tourgis9.jpg

There is so much more I want to see again when I go back, and there is a lot more to explore. The grounds around the fort are quite dodgy and overgrown, as well as rubble filled, and uncovered/badly covered holes are strangely common. Hopefully they won't have started to convert Tourgis before I get the chance to explore again.

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details