real time web analytics
Report - - Fox Brothers Tone Mill, Somerset - April 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fox Brothers Tone Mill, Somerset - April 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Not to be confused with Fox Brothers Tonedale Mill, Somerset .

A little bit of history first, from the Fox Brothers website...

The company was officially founded by Thomas Fox in Wellington 1772, after taking over the family business from his father, Edward. At this time, it is believed that the company employed up to 450 people in and around the area.

During the Industrial Revolution in the early 19th century, the company brought the entire production process in house. With the wool sorting, spinning, drying and weaving processes all under one roof, the Fox family were able to exert more control over quality and increase production. Not only was the total production housed on the one site, but ancillary crafts also took place at the mill. These included basket weaving; to produce the baskets used for holding wool and yarns, joineries; for the wooden requirements of the site, book binding; to produce record and accounts books as well as metal forges and workshops, to produce and maintain the machinery.

At its peak the company employed approximately 5,000 people and owned and operated nine mills and factories in Somerset, Devon, Galashiels and Oxfordshire.

The Fox family had their own legal tender from 1787 until 1921; Lloyds bank in Wellington is to this day known as the Fox Branch.

From the late 19th century into the 20th century, production became increasingly focused on fabrics for the British military. During the Boer War, Fox Brothers developed the new serge drape mixture know as 'khaki', which eventually led to the demise of the British Army's traditional 'redcoats'. During the First World War, Fox Brothers completed the largest ever, single order for textiles: 852 miles of cloth supplied to the Ministry of Defence. This was used to make 'the puttee' - spiral leg puttees were used by the military as a part of the regular soldier uniform.

Now I don't know too much about this actual location, but I believe it's the finishing works for the cloth produced at Tonedale.

DSC_6058.jpg

DSC_6059.jpg

DSC_6064.jpg

This machine was interesting...

DSC_6067.jpg

I don't know what it does exactly, but it's made from thistle teasels...

IMG_1929.jpg

Don't even ask...

DSC_6075.jpg

An even older part of the factory...

DSC_6079.jpg

DSC_6082.jpg

A cheeky climb of the silos...

DSC_6086.jpg

DSC_6084.jpg

DSC_6087.jpg

and an incredibly old publication...

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1922.jpg

Miss Drippy

Who?
28DL Full Member
Surprised you went up the ladder - it's well dodgy! I went there with WDW and when I got to the top a huge chunk of metal fell into one of the cylinders and scared the crap out of me.

Cuuvin

28DL Colonial Member
28DL Full Member
Not to be confused with Fox Brothers Tonedale Mill, Somerset .

Now I don't know too much about this actual location, but I believe it's the finishing works for the cloth produces at Tonedale.

This machine was interesting...

DSC_6067.jpg

I don't know what it does exactly, but it's made from thistle teasels...

IMG_1929.jpg

" but I believe it's the finishing works for the cloth produced at Tonedale. " is a pretty good guess, i'd say . Now my guess that this machine is what's known as a "polisher" or "napper" in the textile trade. Essentially a woven cloth was passed over the drum with the thistles, which would "comb & fluff " (i.e. polish) the cloth. Big clue is apparently how the cloth is handled after processing. It would travel up and down through the small white rollers. The roller arm would be driven back and forth to lay the cloth in layers. Winding it up in a roll would compress the inner layer, which you have just fluffed up. here's a modern "Double Acting Napping Machine" with oscillating arm (arrows) and arm drive (circled) and this one, same arrows & circle

Double-Acting-Napping-Machine.jpg

DSC_6067-jfc.jpg

Did some further research on some old threads on hire >> TEASEL GIG
Speed nailed it right on the head in his 20011 reporthttp://www.28dayslater.co.uk/fox-brothers-part-2-tone-mills-fulling-and-dye-house.t57578

web search turns up various hits and pics.

Last edited:

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Surprised you went up the ladder - it's well dodgy! I went there with WDW and when I got to the top a huge chunk of metal fell into one of the cylinders and scared the crap out of me.

Trust me, that ladder was in very good condition compared to some of the soggy wooden ones I've been up. The platform though, well, I genuinely didn't move up there.

wellingtonian

Subterráneo
Regular User
Nice going mate. Wish I had been around to meet you.
The old place is holding up quite well really. Mother Nature is slowly moving in though.
Always pleased to see a new report from here.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Outstanding work..i really want to get here now i've seen this, just a hell of a drive from manchester.