real time web analytics
Report - - Frenchay Hospital, Bristol - July 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Frenchay Hospital, Bristol - July 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Vixxie

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Seems like this one got really popular on the forum but want to contribute with my report as it was a really amazing place to visit! Explored with Pinkman, really recently.

79A7aw7mszFlOczsTChFGZfUFnEE0NDLwwvqbaMSO_Y=w702-h468-no.jpg

Because there's so many amazing pictures of the place already on the forum I thought to focus bit more on the detail in my report.

Bit of a history first:

The hospital, situated in the grounds of a Georgian mansion, Frenchay Park, started life as a TB hospital (Frenchay Park Sanatorium) in 1921, when Bristol Corporation acquired the land. In 1931, five purpose-built buildings were constructed to extend the hospital beyond the original house.

Concerns about the possibility of heavy bombing casualties led to the hospital being greatly expanded between 1938 and early 1942. Although Bristol was severely bombed, the new facilities remained unused.

When US forces arrived in 1942, the city handed the new hospital facilities over to the Americans, as a sort of reverse Lend-Lease. The initial units of the Medical Corps were the 2nd and 77th Evacuation Hospitals and the 152nd Station Hospital. Further expansion to the facilities including 27 wards, occurred in late 1942 and it was occupied by the 298th General Hospital. Initially, the Americans used the hospital mainly as training facility for their medical staff. After D-Day, however, the hospital was used in earnest, the processing of casualties becoming a very slick operation under the control of the 100th and then 117th General Hospitals. Casualties were flown into Filton or arrived by train from the channel ports. Between 5 August and 31 December 1944 a total of 4,954 patients were discharged from Frenchay.

Although the Frenchay Tuberculosis hospital operated as a separate unit throughout the war, the patients were transferred elsewhere in 1947.

After World War II, the Americans handed the hospital back to the Corporation. The National Health Service acquired the hospital in 1948.

Over the last 60 years or so, the hospital facilities have been slowly modernized, but many wartime buildings are still very much in evidence. [from Wiki]

_SAM0650.jpg

Getting inside wasn't real hard as lots of doors and windows are just open. The only people we met during the whole day of adventure were bypassers (in majority heading towards the Flower Show nearby that became our good alibi for a day :D and some construction workers. The hospital contains several buildings and it was quite impossible to see everything in one go.

Here are some of the pictures from the inside. Also from the Mortuary. They not the best quality as I am new to the whole DSLR stuff.. Hope you still enjoy.

_SAM0434.jpg

_SAM0436.jpg

_SAM0410.jpg

_SAM0452.jpg

_SAM0461.jpg

_SAM0464.jpg

_SAM0467.jpg

_SAM0470.jpg

_SAM0475.jpg

_SAM0490.jpg

_SAM0498.jpg

_SAM0499.jpg

_SAM0644.jpg

Last edited:

Vixxie

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I am actually surprised that no homeless moved in yet.. with running showers, working toilets, electricity and comfy beds!

Vixxie

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After 4.5h of driving and 12h of exploring we were seriously considering it :P

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones :thumb

Empty beds in a NHS Hospital :eek:

Loving the Morgue and bone Saw, bet that's in someone's collection by now

Vixxie

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks mate. Morgue was for far the best discovery. The saw, scissors and scalpels were there just this weekend..I'm afraid NHS cleared it all out by now though since shit got viral on fb.. :/

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Let me make this very clear, 28 is in no way associated with the recent goonage here

As for pictures do what you want with them and don't cry a river if shit hits the fan

I've seen some of what was let's just say not exactly lying around and in no way will we be hosting any of that on here!

Would have thought people would have had a bit more common sense over such places, but seemingly not

I'm not going to keep tidying threads up either, it's easier just to remove them rather than keep piss balling about

Seffy

Staff member
I swear this is basically just a report on the morgue? What will be the first of many I'm sure :rolleyes:

I hear tickets for this weekends tours have almost run out, so get yours now people..

Vixxie

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Let me make this very clear, 28 is in no way associated with the recent goonage here

As for pictures do what you want with them and don't cry a river if shit hits the fan

I've heard about some of what was let's just say not exactly lying around and in no way will we be hosting any of that on here!

Would have thought people would have had a bit more common sense over such places, but seemingly not

I'm not going to keep tidying threads up either, it's easier just to remove them rather than keep piss balling about

Well, I do agree with you on that. I explained my point in the PM to you. I have nothing to do with spreading the shit around the forum/fb.