real time web analytics
Information - - Fullers Earth Works Aug 2017 | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Fullers Earth Works Aug 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

alpha

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So after debating doing this for ages a (now friend) uploaded a video recently with access looking easy and non existent security, so off we went!

Now I had heard this place was a deathtrap and that quite frankly is an understatement! I arrived with sturdy shoes, combat trousers, builders gloves, P3 half mask respirator and lenser head torch also had fall arrest gear just incase but there were no viable anchor points, everything is rusty. Upon getting to the top which took ages making sure every step was onto something fairly solid I was horrified to see a group of adults just walking up in gear more suited to the beach (one girl wearing flip flops!), the amount of broken asbestos cement sheet around is unreal....

I next step out onto a gangway next to the silo where there are three kids around 14 I reckon, two on oneside and the other looking very sheepish not wanting to walk the RSJ between the silos which must be about 8 storeys high, thankfully he took my advice that if he wasnt comfortable he shouldn't do it and followed me down.

As far as security goes there was a dog unit when we arived (just waited for it to go then we got straight in...), the same dog unit arrived later on, managed to catch the group of adults and kids (why park your car right outside guys?) at which point we made a swift ninja exit out the back and through a field :thumb

So to sum up, if your a kid and don't understand the risks, don't go here. If your an adult and don't understand the risks, don't go here. If you understand the risks then all I can say is walking round in a respirator isn't much fun, the site is a massive derp and not worth the time or the chance of falling through a floor or getting caught by a man with a big dog.

Oh and if Mr security reads this (yeah its not a marked van but a mondeo....) then you really need to sort your brake lights out, only one is working :rolleyes:

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
Asbestos particles get stuck to your clothing and skin then carried with you so unless you removed all clothing and showered before removing your mask you might as well not have worn one.

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
The site in redhill has been a known hazard for years, i think you went a bit ott with the protection but at least you were safe. As redhill is steaming with chavs children always have and will cimb up and smash this place until it gets knocked down. I am in redhill almost daily and the dog patrol is supposedly there non stop, you must have got lucky

pepperplant

Luigi
28DL Full Member
Speaking to the security on my last visit. (I'll add I've been there 10+ times before and haven't met any) He said that they have been told to tell people they are planning to knock it down. But I think there's some sort of planning constraint. I read it was purchased by Biffa (The waste people who run the landfill next door) when they bought the land. Probably will be turned into some sort of recycling place no doubt!

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
He said that they have been told to tell people they are planning to knock it down. But I think there's some sort of planning constraint.
There was a planning application in 2000 - "Demolition of mineral processing facility and redevelopment to provide energy from waste plant, ash recycling facility and associated infrastructure". It was refused.

Then another in 2006 -"Regularisation of the use of land for the storage of empty waste containers." Also refused, appealed and still refused.

pepperplant

Luigi
28DL Full Member
Thanks Yorrick, That's probably what he was on about! They're probably just waiting for some hooligans to destroy it or for it to fall down so they can try again!

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
No way on earth will the main construction fall down, perhaps the accessable climb to the top, but the foundation is so strong its probably the reason why the application keeps getting refused, the immense price it would cost to get rid of it insane

pepperplant

Luigi
28DL Full Member
The warehouses are starting to go and one of the towers towards the rear is starting to lean! I want to get a few more drone shots before anything happens to it. But every time I go there's always kids that want me to film them doing stupid shit!

alpha

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nope wasn't us, unless you were with the group with the girl walking round wearing flip flops! Wonder why planning was refused? The cost to clear the asbestos alone from this site would be horrendous, let alone cleaning up the contaminated soil and other contaminants left when it was abandoned. I was going to go on a rant about the place but my personal view still remains this place needs to be demolished and until then requires some serious security improvement and 24 hour guarding. That is me saying that as an explorer and not some nimby commenting on the daily fail website about an article done on our hobby.

It seems as though this is just another situation where it will take a tragic incident for any real action to be taken...

pepperplant

Luigi
28DL Full Member
Nah, wasn't us. Was with my girlfriend and a friend. The guys hassled me until I videoed them, then they just left! Really odd. If you're ever doing any places let me know. Seems your a likeminded explorer!

Who has read this thread (Total: 2) View details