real time web analytics
28DL and UE in the News - Gang breaks into power station - Greenock Telegraph 18/07/12 | 28DL and Urban Exploring in the News... | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

28DL and UE in the News Gang breaks into power station - Greenock Telegraph 18/07/12

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gone

Regular User
Section 57: being in an enclosed building with intent to commit theft, which is arrestable.

Surely it would be a waste of time on their behalf, after the usual 'we are photographers' chat they have no evidence in regards to theft.

Maybe people would be arrested to show the locals how much of a next level, crime crushing police force they have, infact I know that's why.

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
You are half right, but it is little more than a holding charge at best;

An outmoded law still on the statute books.

Section : 4
Act : Vagrancy Act 1824
Subject : Found On Enclosed Premises

every person being found in or upon any dwelling house, warehouse, coach-house, stable, or outhouse, or in any enclosed yard, garden, or area, for any unlawful purpose

:crazy Power of Arrest comes from s6 Vagrancy Act 1824 - But they have to prove the for any unlawful purpose bit

:rolleyes: Breaking & Entering, Criminal Damage or Theft would be better used if proven!

:wanker Not all Urban Explorers are particular at avoiding a bit of B&E, CD or Theft of 'souvenirs' as LAW ABIDING members here!!

;) Which is why you should be so careful about your mode of entry & conduct.

Last edited:

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Part of a larger section:

Persons committing certain offences to be deemed rogues and vagabonds

4. Every person committing any of the offences herein-before mentioned, after having been convicted as an idle and disorderly person; every person pretending or professing to tell fortunes, or using any subtle craft, means, or device, by palmistry or otherwise, to deceive and impose on any of his Majesty’s subjects; every person wandering abroad and lodging in any barn or outhouse, or in any deserted or unoccupied building, or in the open air, or under a tent, or in any cart or wagon, not having any visible means of subsistence and not giving a good account of himself or herself; every person wilfully exposing to view, in any street, road, highway, or public place, any obscene print, picture, or other indecent exhibition; every person wilfully openly, lewdly, and obscenely exposing his person in any street, road, or public highway, or in the view thereof, or in any place of public resort, with intent to insult any female; every person wandering abroad, and endeavouring by the exposure of wounds or deformities to obtain or gather alms; every person going about as a gatherer or collector of alms, or endeavouring to procure charitable contributions of any nature or kind, under any false or fraudulent pretence; every person being found in or upon any dwelling house, warehouse, coach-house, stable, or outhouse, or in any enclosed yard, garden, or area, for any unlawful purpose; every suspected person or reputed thief, frequenting any river, canal, or navigable stream, dock, or basin, or any quay, wharf, or warehouse near or adjoining thereto, or any street, highway, or avenue leading thereto, or any place of public resort, or any avenue leading thereto, or any street, or any highway or any place adjacent to a street or highway; with intent to commit an arrestable offence; and every person apprehended as an idle and disorderly person, and violently resisting any constable, or other peace officer so apprehending him or her, and being subsequently convicted of the offence for which he or she shall have been so apprehended; shall be deemed a rogue and vagabond, within the true intent and meaning of this Act; and, subject to section 70 of The Criminal Justice Act 1982, it shall be lawful for any justice of the peace to commit such offender to imprisonment for any time not exceeding three calendar months.

BenCooper

Mr Boombastic
28DL Full Member
It's from the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982:

57 Being in or on building etc. with intent to commit theft.(1)Any person who, without lawful authority to be there, is found in or on a building or other premises, whether enclosed or not, or in its curtilage or in a vehicle or vessel so that, in all the circumstances, it may reasonably be inferred that he intended to commit theft there shall be guilty of an offence and liable, on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding [F85level 4 on the standard scale] or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding 3 months or to both.
(2)In this section “theft” includes any aggravation of theft including robbery.

So not at all outmoded, and as I said PCs I've discussed it with would use S.57 as a first resort unless it was obvious that theft was not the reason.

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Ah! I was quoting ENGLISH & WELSH Law - Greenock is of course in SCOTLAND where it has a differant meaning. i.e. The Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982.

Sorry for the mix up.

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
I really think some of the time it depends on what mood they're in, or how p***ed off they are for being dragged out to the venue en masse.
Some of the charges Ive had were " being found on enclosd premises with possible unlawful entry" or " being found on enclosed premises with intent to steal and commit criminal damage".
The first was Lancaster moor asylum (empty) and the second was a disused factory (empty).
However I was also found in a college that had closed 4 days previously - intact, with everything still in - and after a chat with the 8 cops who turned up and a check of my car i was allowed on my way..

Last edited:

sim2lew

Likes a good derp
28DL Full Member
That article's right though. I mean who wouldn't want to break into a building?

Oh wait, none of us would because we're not idiots. Whoops!
Pathetic slow news day dribble.

Eight-Seven

This is not a good idea. Let's do it.
28DL Full Member
So you guys give Urbex a brilliant name with a splore like this and headstrong,misinformed journos manage to trample all over it. Personally I think what you guys did was legendary !

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Part of a larger section:

Persons committing certain offences to be deemed rogues and vagabonds

4. Every person committing any of the offences herein-before mentioned, after having been convicted as an idle and disorderly person; every person pretending or professing to tell fortunes, or using any subtle craft, means, or device, by palmistry or otherwise, to deceive and impose on any of his Majesty’s subjects; every person wandering abroad and lodging in any barn or outhouse, or in any deserted or unoccupied building, or in the open air, or under a tent, or in any cart or wagon, not having any visible means of subsistence and not giving a good account of himself or herself; every person wilfully exposing to view, in any street, road, highway, or public place, any obscene print, picture, or other indecent exhibition; every person wilfully openly, lewdly, and obscenely exposing his person in any street, road, or public highway, or in the view thereof, or in any place of public resort, with intent to insult any female; every person wandering abroad, and endeavouring by the exposure of wounds or deformities to obtain or gather alms; every person going about as a gatherer or collector of alms, or endeavouring to procure charitable contributions of any nature or kind, under any false or fraudulent pretence; every person being found in or upon any dwelling house, warehouse, coach-house, stable, or outhouse, or in any enclosed yard, garden, or area, for any unlawful purpose; every suspected person or reputed thief, frequenting any river, canal, or navigable stream, dock, or basin, or any quay, wharf, or warehouse near or adjoining thereto, or any street, highway, or avenue leading thereto, or any place of public resort, or any avenue leading thereto, or any street, or any highway or any place adjacent to a street or highway; with intent to commit an arrestable offence; and every person apprehended as an idle and disorderly person, and violently resisting any constable, or other peace officer so apprehending him or her, and being subsequently convicted of the offence for which he or she shall have been so apprehended; shall be deemed a rogue and vagabond, within the true intent and meaning of this Act; and, subject to section 70 of The Criminal Justice Act 1982, it shall be lawful for any justice of the peace to commit such offender to imprisonment for any time not exceeding three calendar months.

That's fantastic that. They could hold Suboffender for every one of the those except the highlighted bit. Cheers for sticking that up, just goes to show how ancient those vagrancy laws are.

Status
Not open for further replies.