real time web analytics
Report - - Gdańsk Imperial Shipyard, Poland - July 2023 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gdańsk Imperial Shipyard, Poland - July 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Wasn't going to post this but people seem to enjoy seeing these shots so thought I'd make it into something. After asking the question "where we dropping boys?", I found myself on holiday with the lads last summer in Gdańsk. Like every good trip, I managed to drag them round the old Imperial Shipyard. It's a mix of industrial wasteland and a slightly hipster area, but mostly just a complete wasteland save the odd information board, active business, art installation and bar. These yards are still partially active in places, but also many are now disused. Given they all looked pretty run down, it was hard to tell what was disused and what wasn't, so we only poked our heads in a few windows and bits. Very much a light-hearted mooch but quite interesting nonetheless.

Gdańsk was historically known as the perhaps more familiar-sounding Danzig, and was annexed by Prussia (what evolved into Germany) in 1793. It changed hands several times so is a strange kind of European nether zone, although was effectively under German control for much of its modern history. After Poland regained independence following WW1, it hoped Danzig would become its port. However, by this time, it was largely German-speaking. Faced with an identity crisis, it was decided by the League of Nations in the Treaty of Versailles that it would become the Free City of Danzig; an independent state. The first shots of WW2 were fired when a German battleship fired upon the city, and it got absolutely devastated from then on. After WW2, the city was finally returned to Poland.

Captur22e.JPG

The shipyards were built in the late 19th century as is fairly visible in much of the architecture. The more notable shipbuilding companies include Schichau; which formed a large shipyard in 1890, and Kaiserliche Werft Danzig; or Imperial Shipyard Danzig, which built a lot of infrastructure in 1871 where many of these buildings are. Various companies came and went and added buildings, and prior to WW1 built German U-boats. It became independent in 1945, and home to the Solidarity movement in 1980 led by Lech Wałęsa. I've probably made some generalisations with the history, but this gives the rough idea.

Gdansk (36 of 44).jpg

The pre- and post-war shipyard directorate

Gdansk (24 of 44).jpg

Gdansk (26 of 44).jpg

Gdansk (25 of 44).jpg

Gdansk (19 of 44).jpg

Gdansk (22 of 44).jpg

The only building we properly entered. I bet the others are even better though if anyone goes.

Gdansk (16 of 44).jpg

The forge building - partially open for visitors to wander into. Got to love the laissez faire tourism you get in Europe.

Gdansk (13 of 44).jpg

Gdansk (14 of 44).jpg

Gdansk (15 of 44).jpg

Gdansk (18 of 44).jpg

Gdansk (27 of 44).jpg

Gdansk (17 of 44).jpg

Gdansk (28 of 44).jpg

Gdansk (29 of 44).jpg

Gdansk (30 of 44).jpg

Peering in. Lots of teases in this place.

Gdansk (31 of 44).jpg

Gdansk (35 of 44).jpg

Gdansk (34 of 44).jpg

Gdansk (32 of 44).jpg

Some of the shipyard's many travelling cranes

Gdansk (39 of 44).jpg

View across the city from the cathedral

35mm Shots (Kodak Ultramax 400)

000813110020.jpg

000813110012.jpg

000813110019.jpg

000813110013.jpg

000813110016.jpg

000813110021.jpg

Finishing on an unrelated shot of this rather cool Soviet-looking abandoned park I saw.

That's all folks :)

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Regular User
Really like that. Nice shots. The 6th photo down (first internal) reminds me of Penallta Collilery for some reason
Cheers! You know what, I think I've been subconsciously thinking that and only now you say I've realised haha. Definitely similar vibes.

Wastelandr

Regular User
Cheers all! Glad the film shots went down well, quite like the look of that Ultramax actually

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It's mainly because the only actual sneaky shot is the one inside the big shed. The rest are peeking through windows, and the forge was open. Cheers though glad you liked em!
Yeah I did enjoy it. I have been using the ultramax, but mine ain't that crisp. Either that's a decent camera, or really good light, or they are digital really ha ha.

Wastelandr

Regular User
Yeah I did enjoy it. I have been using the ultramax, but mine ain't that crisp. Either that's a decent camera, or really good light, or they are digital really ha ha.
I used it once before and I was surprised that the results looked quite different to this. I think what made these come out so crisp and contrasty was that it was really sunny.