real time web analytics
Report - - George Barnsley & Sons (Re-Visit) - Sheffield June 2013 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - George Barnsley & Sons (Re-Visit) - Sheffield June 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
A revisit to George Barnsley's for me, it's been a good while since i had a look around here but a non-exploring work friend fancied getting out to take some photos after seeing what i do, i offered to take him here. I do love this place it's so atmospheric and despite being waaaay past it's best and visited by just about every man and his dog, well it's just a joy to shoot and always nice to see the little things you miss on previous visits.
Well old George isn't fairing too well these days and the rot is really taking a grip in places, my foot sunk into the floor on more than one occasion, we both had a great hour or so in here so i thought i would throw a report up on my re-visit.

George Barnsley was apprenticed into the filemakers trade in 1823 by his mother, Anne, who had been widowed. He was signed in to the apprenticeship – to a Thomas Wing of Sheffield – for seven years and two hundred and seventy one days. He later went in to partnership with his brother and they established themselves as one of the worlds leading manufacturers of tools for the shoe making and leather trades. The company grew throughout the 19th century and the Barnsley family were held in high regard in the thriving city. Eventually the outdated factory and production methods fell victim to the increasingly competitive import market and the growing costs of production, finally closing in 2003.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

6.jpg

12.jpg
10.jpg

14.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

23.jpg

22.jpg

25.jpg