real time web analytics
Report - - George Barnsley and Sons Ltd, Sheffield - April 2024 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - George Barnsley and Sons Ltd, Sheffield - April 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
April 2024

The Visit
Did this one as a sole visit whilst in the Steele city, its been done a thousand times and I certainly missed it in its prime back in the day but I just couldn't resist the temptation to explore this place. I spent about an hour wandering around the now fairly dilapidated works, it is safe to say that it is now in a fairly poor state with many of the buildings collapsing in on themselves with nature taking over.

The History
George Barnsley and Sons Ltd was established in 1836 by George Barnsley, who started producing and selling files in Wheeldon Street in the Brookhill Area of Sheffield. George ran the business by purchasing pre-cut blank steels, transforming them into files, and then selling them. The business relocated to the Upperthorpe area of Sheffield on Cornish Street around 1850. George and his brother Charles acquired a steel making concern with 900 square meters of forges, workshops, and other buildings. They also began manufacturing leather working tools at this time. The Cornish Works site was expanded and mechanised in 1885. In 1890, the firm bought the Globe Works next to the Cornish Works, which was later sold. The company did not grow further after this period, and in the 1940s, they switched from gas-powered engines to electric motors.

As time passed and the world progressed after World War II, George Barnsleys and the Sheffield cutlery and tool industries began to decline. To combat this, the firm decided to upgrade some of its equipment by installing a new plate machine and precision lathe in necessary departments. By 1952, it was noted in a Directors meeting that customers remained loyal due to the high quality products. With financial support from the War Damages Commission, the firm was able to navigate through tough times. George Barnsley ceased file production in the early 1970s and eventually closed the doors on its Cornish Street site in 2004, following the departure of the final workers being laid off as the buildings fell into serious disrepair.

Fred Barnsley and his son, Colin, were part of the family descendants who departed. They acquired Woodware Repetitions Ltd, a well-known manufacturer of tool handles, and relocated to the former premises of John Clarke on Mowbray Street, situated just across the River Don from Barnsley's. Woodware absorbed Barnsley's inventory and in 2007, rebranded as 'George Barnsley & Sons Ltd'. While Woodware's expertise lay in woodturning, they maintained the tradition of selling shoe knives with the renowned 'A' mark up to the present day.

GRONK_George_Barnsley12.jpg

[1]

GRONK_George_Barnsley7.jpg

[2]

GRONK_George_Barnsley6.jpg

[3]

GRONK_George_Barnsley8.jpg

[4]

GRONK_George_Barnsley10.jpg

[5]

GRONK_George_Barnsley9.jpg

[6]

GRONK_George_Barnsley4.jpg

[7]

GRONK_George_Barnsley1.jpg

[8]

GRONK_George_Barnsley5.jpg

[9]

GRONK_George_Barnsley3.jpg

[10]

GRONK_George_Barnsley2.jpg

[11]

GRONK_George_Barnsley11.jpg

[12]​

Cheers for looking :thumb
Fujifilm X-T2, 10-24mm f4 R OIS WR (Velvia)​

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Still really hard to get in then :rofl Nice set of pics though it is as much a classic as u can get in the exploring world!

403forbiddenexploration

needs a new username this one's cringe
28DL Full Member
Some nice pics there.

I think there's a couple of George Barnsley reports coming soon :) Not from me though, I'll leave that up to the better photographers here. Or I'll stick some more in the general photos thread later.

It is a nice enough place though, and a pretty fucking big site too.

Last edited:

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
April 2024

The Visit
Did this one as a sole visit whilst in the Steele city, its been done a thousand times and I certainly missed it in its prime back in the day but I just couldn't resist the temptation to explore this place. I spent about an hour wandering around the now fairly dilapidated works, it is safe to say that it is now in a fairly poor state with many of the buildings collapsing in on themselves with nature taking over.

The History
George Barnsley and Sons Ltd was established in 1836 by George Barnsley, who started producing and selling files in Wheeldon Street in the Brookhill Area of Sheffield. George ran the business by purchasing pre-cut blank steels, transforming them into files, and then selling them. The business relocated to the Upperthorpe area of Sheffield on Cornish Street around 1850. George and his brother Charles acquired a steel making concern with 900 square meters of forges, workshops, and other buildings. They also began manufacturing leather working tools at this time. The Cornish Works site was expanded and mechanised in 1885. In 1890, the firm bought the Globe Works next to the Cornish Works, which was later sold. The company did not grow further after this period, and in the 1940s, they switched from gas-powered engines to electric motors.

As time passed and the world progressed after World War II, George Barnsleys and the Sheffield cutlery and tool industries began to decline. To combat this, the firm decided to upgrade some of its equipment by installing a new plate machine and precision lathe in necessary departments. By 1952, it was noted in a Directors meeting that customers remained loyal due to the high quality products. With financial support from the War Damages Commission, the firm was able to navigate through tough times. George Barnsley ceased file production in the early 1970s and eventually closed the doors on its Cornish Street site in 2004, following the departure of the final workers being laid off as the buildings fell into serious disrepair.

Fred Barnsley and his son, Colin, were part of the family descendants who departed. They acquired Woodware Repetitions Ltd, a well-known manufacturer of tool handles, and relocated to the former premises of John Clarke on Mowbray Street, situated just across the River Don from Barnsley's. Woodware absorbed Barnsley's inventory and in 2007, rebranded as 'George Barnsley & Sons Ltd'. While Woodware's expertise lay in woodturning, they maintained the tradition of selling shoe knives with the renowned 'A' mark up to the present day.

GRONK_George_Barnsley12.jpg

[1]

GRONK_George_Barnsley7.jpg

[2]

GRONK_George_Barnsley6.jpg

[3]

GRONK_George_Barnsley8.jpg

[4]

GRONK_George_Barnsley10.jpg

[5]

GRONK_George_Barnsley9.jpg

[6]

GRONK_George_Barnsley4.jpg

[7]

GRONK_George_Barnsley1.jpg

[8]

GRONK_George_Barnsley5.jpg

[9]

GRONK_George_Barnsley3.jpg

[10]

GRONK_George_Barnsley2.jpg

[11]

GRONK_George_Barnsley11.jpg

[12]​

Cheers for looking :thumb
Fujifilm X-T2, 10-24mm f4 R OIS WR (Velvia)​
Gonna try do this one in a bit Sheffield trip, luckily it’s so close to Cannon Brewery which saves me the trek

Love the report and photos

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
it's a lot worse than my solo 2013 & 2023 visit with Acid Reflux but still very photogenic,
nice report m8 👍

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Always good to see. Some great photos there. I do like those doors and og bits dotted around, all so rustic. 👊

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Only got to this last year, it’s got a great character about it for sure. Your pics certainly do great justice, good to see them