real time web analytics
Gillette Factory : Gillette Corner, London : Oct. 2008:- | Downfallen | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Gillette Factory : Gillette Corner, London : Oct. 2008:-

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Downfallen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Site:
Gillette Factory( former), Gillette Corner, London
Explorer:
Downfallen/ AGK
Height:
170ft(approx)
Under redevelopment
History:
Designed by Sir Banister F. Fletcher in 1936 and built specifically for Gillette, the razor manufacturer, the design of the building frontage is said to resemble a razor. and is located on the famous art deco 'Golden Mile' in West London.
This factory remained the UK ( and for a time) Euro HQ of Gillette's European Operation , from before WW2 up until production ceased in 2006, where manufacturing was swapped to a new facility in Poland.
Future:
The Bonnington Group have been granted planning permission by the London Borough of Hounslow to develop the 1930s Art Deco Grade II listed Gillette building into a hotel and business park, which will add to the West Cross industrial estate, of which Gillette Corner lies at the west end

First off, all credit to agk for the tip off on this site...nice one mate
I went for a visit to establish the access before returning with agk a week later.
Lots to see in this site.....as usual, the first time in, its all about keeping quiet and expecting to be caught.
Subsequent visit...knowing the layout and the score, times were a little (just a little) bit more relaxed

Alot of ground to cover in this one, so I'll break it down the main areas into a few posts.

The climb into the clock room
g2284et1.jpg

g22823il2.jpg

Looking back down the spiral stairway....from the safety of the clock room.
g2281mk0.jpg

Inside the clock room.....clicks, bangs and whirs of the clock mechanism take over the sounds of the outside world.
.....a lovely old skool timer/ chain/counterweight/motor driven mechanism

gillette328iu4.jpg

The clock motor...
gillette428dn1.jpg

The central cog mech.....feeding the 4 clock faces...
g2283wx6.jpg

g2287hq3.jpg

The clock mech internals...
g22814fj2.jpg

g22815wc8.jpg

g22811mi1.jpg

Up a ladder and through a hatch, you head up onto the small 'turret' of the clock tower......the highest part of the factory
gillette228ph3.jpg

Up here there was a great view of the factory complex....and the surrounding area
g22822vo6.jpg

g2289mv3.jpg

Leaning over the side ( and before 2am) you can view the elaborate neon lighting scheme across the clock faces.
g22821dk9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Downfallen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Gillette Factory : Gillette Corner, London : Oct. 2008:- Report !

The 'Old' Factory
This part of the site was built specifically for Gillette way back when art deco was the 'in' thing.
Its now completely gutted....its been stripped back to the core structure as part of the redevelopment.
The 4 level floor spaces are bare and massive and other than some interesting shadow play....are completely derelict.

g22813bi1.jpg

The ground floor of the old factory...
g32814id0.jpg

g22817nb6.jpg

First floor....
g22816jb7.jpg

g22820mh0.jpg

g22819vh6.jpg

There is an interesting and extensive sub basement level......a vast series of corridors and chambers underneath the whole site.....by the looks of them , used mainly for storage and access underneath the factory complex
g32821lz4.jpg

The loading bay....
g3283nj4.jpg

Downfallen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Gillette Factory : Gillette Corner, London : Oct. 2008:- Report !

The 'New Factory'
I'd skipped past this initially....this area of the factory complex just looked too 'new' and a bit too 'live' for my liking
Getting braver on another visit I ventured in.
This was obviously the production side of the site when they were here....a few levels of machine shops/production floors/offices/conference rooms and a rather spiffing staff canteen...still in pristine condition...almost like they had left yesterday !

Stay Sharp !
g3284qu6.jpg

The ground floor loading bay of the 'new' factory
g3285mv9.jpg

g3287rm6.jpg

g32813fz4.jpg

A whole cupboard full of prints on the first floor
g32822gl0.jpg

The paint pellet room....where paint pellets ( of various shades of blue) were processed to make the razor handles...
g32818fx2.jpg

g32817hi2.jpg

g32824wx6.jpg

g32816zd7.jpg

g32826rv2.jpg

The paint pellets were ground down, heated and made into a paste before being transported to others areas of the factory by a funky series of pipe work...
g32825zz0.jpg

One of the machine rooms...
g32829tf9.jpg

Who ate all the pies ..? ( I think it was Len)
g32827um4.jpg

g32830iq7.jpg

Upstairs....and past the now empty staff shop was the staff canteen......clearly a focal point when the factory was 'live'.....and quite a fancy looking place..
g32831ja1.jpg

g32832prpoersi3.jpg

g3281vf2.jpg

Next to the canteen , the conference rooms...
g3282cl4.jpg

A large site to cover...... some gems here and there to find, but the clock tower made it for me
But strangely......not a razor blade in site to be found :)

g2288ow3.jpg