real time web analytics
Report - - Glamorgan 'Scotch' Colliery Pump House, Tonypandy, March 2022 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Glamorgan 'Scotch' Colliery Pump House, Tonypandy, March 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
An inconspicuous old building, sat next to a main road, you'd never know it played a key role in the Tonypandy riots.

The history:

Between 1861-62, a Mr Begg sank the first two shafts at Llwynypia to the Rhondda No. 2 & 3 Bituminous Seams. This was done on behalf of the Glamorgan Coal Company which was formed by Archibald Hood, and from which the colliery got it's name.

Hood purchased Trealaw Colliery and renamed it Llwynypia No.3, with No.2 & 3 being used for winding, and the No.1 shaft was used as the upcast. In the 1870s, another 2 shafts were sunk, with No.4 being used for pumping, and No.5 as an upcast for No.3. A 6th shaft was sunk at a later point.

In 1908, the Glamorgan Colliery became part of the Cambrian Combine Company. This company formed in order to regulate prices and keep wages low in the mines of the Rhondda Valley. This led to ill feeling amongst the miners, consequently leading to the Tonypandy Riots of 1910 beginning outside the Pump House, with miners stoning the building, and tearing down sections of wooden fencing, which was used in hand to hand combat with the police stationed on the site.

By 1918, the No.3 shaft had ceased production, as the seams it worked were exhausted. It was maintained for pumping only. In 1929, the Cambrian Combine company merged into the newly formed Welsh Associated Collieries Ltd following liquidation.

The explore:

Didn't have any intention of doing this, passed it on the way home from another explore and it piqued my curiosity. Turns out luck was on my side, as the gate happened to be wide open! After a bit of creative stacking with a conveniently dumped shopping trolley and some logs, I was inside the building. Not that much to see with the lower level being flooded, but there was a few decent little details. The history attached to the building is what makes it appealing, at least for me anyway.

Exteriors -
DSC06098.jpg
DSC_2993.jpg

Transformers -
DSC06046.jpg
DSC06050.jpg
DSC06053.jpg
DSC06055.jpg

Interior -
DSC06059.jpg
DSC06060.jpg
DSC06082.jpg