real time web analytics
Report - - Glasgow Botanic Gardens Underground Station July 2012 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Glasgow Botanic Gardens Underground Station July 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

baronvon

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with Scattergun after a 3:45am start to Guardbridge (more of that to follow when I`ve sorted the photos, Magpie shame we never met up but totally understand :thumb)

Got here around 2pm I think, raining, up and over and in :)

This was a special explore to me as its the first report I ever read a few years back, this is the one that got me into all of this :)

Playing around with a new lens so apols for the wide angles.............

The station was opened on 10 August 1896 by the Glasgow Central Railway.The station building was on ground level, and the platforms were underground, beneath the Glasgow Botanic Gardens. It was closed between 1 January 1917 and 2 March 1919 due to wartime economy, and closed permanently to passengers on 6 February 1939, with the line being closed on 5 October 1964.

The station building was an ornate red brick structure with two towers sporting a clock and Caledonian Railway monogram, topped by domes reminiscent of a Russian orthodox church. The extant, but disused, station building at Possil is of a similar design

The building was converted into shops after the station's 1939 closure and by the late 1960s was occupied by a popular café called 'The Silver Slipper', a nightclub called 'Sgt. Peppers' and a plumbers shop, 'Morton's'. It was ravaged by fire on the night of 22 March 1970

playing with the P7 on the left
IMG_2472ra.jpg

IMG_2483ra.jpg

the stairs that lead no where :)

IMG_2486ra.jpg

IMG_2505ra.jpg

IMG_2535ra.jpg

walked all the way through the other end to the blocked Kelvinbridge/Kelvingrove end, long very dark tunnel !!
went part way to conquering my fear of a few things that walk !!

IMG_2521ra.jpg

IMG_2517ra.jpg

IMG_2527ra.jpg

IMG_2533ra.jpg

IMG_2530ra.jpg

cheers