real time web analytics
Report - - Glenfarg rail tunnels, Perthshire | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Glenfarg rail tunnels, Perthshire

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Glenfarg rail tunnels consist of two tunnels just over 500 yards long each on the old southbound (to Edinburgh) line from Glenfarg. Closed in 1970, the southern tunnel is all concrete lined while the north tunnel is a mix of concrete walls and mostly brick roof. All traces of track and sleepers are gone and the tunnels are largely very dry (especially the south tunnel, the floor is dust in most places) with just a few drips here and there, no mud whatsoever though there are muddy areas just outside the tunnels. The south tunnel seemed brighter - wasn't in proper darkness even halfway through, I don't know if there is any real difference or whether the fading afternoon light made the north tunnel seem darker, it was pitch darkness deep inside. No air shafts in either tunnel but both have many arched refuges at intervals, built of stone with the bedrock visible inside, the tunnels were draughty and quite cold at this time of year. I thought this would be a fairly brief explore but was surprised to see I'd been several hours in the tunnels, time tends to fly underground also the walk between the tunnels is longer than I'd expected. Looks like a landslip must have occurred to the north of the south tunnel ( the line is engineered into a hillside with ground dropping away steeply to the west), the old trackbed suddenly dips down steeply (by rail standards) and then rises back to the level, this couldn't have been present when trains were running as the effect would have felt like a rollercoaster to people on the train.

Concrete lined south tunnel
IMG_7852.JPG

IMG_7859.JPG

IMG_7861.JPG

North tunnel with concrete wall/brick roof
IMG_7867.JPG

IMG_7871.JPG

IMG_7883.JPG

IMG_7884.JPG

Access point off the B996 Glenfarg Road.
WP_20230203_14_23_07_Pro.jpg

South tunnel, looking northeast.
WP_20230203_14_29_02_Pro.jpg

End of the north tunnel, there's a degree of graffiti in these tunnels but its not excessive.
WP_20230203_15_14_11_Pro.jpg

Looking north from outside the north portal of south tunnel, a small viaduct was built to carry a farm track across the cutting.
WP_20230203_15_14_37_Pro__highres.jpg

IMG_7873.JPG

WP_20230203_15_15_49_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

MrDevla

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It looks like the car which was at one of the portals has now been removed. I went a few years back and there wasn’t a great deal left of it. Otherwise it’s a nice walk in a pretty part of the world and thanks for sharing.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It looks like the car which was at one of the portals has now been removed. I went a few years back and there wasn’t a great deal left of it. Otherwise it’s a nice walk in a pretty part of the world and thanks for sharing.
Thanks, the car is still there but in a severely degraded state from pictures of it a few years ago, just collapsed heap of rust now.

Alan Mckeeve

28DL Member
28DL Member
Glenfarg rail tunnels consist of two tunnels just over 500 yards long each on the old southbound (to Edinburgh) line from Glenfarg. Closed in 1970, the southern tunnel is all concrete lined while the north tunnel is a mix of concrete walls and mostly brick roof. All traces of track and sleepers are gone and the tunnels are largely very dry (especially the south tunnel, the floor is dust in most places) with just a few drips here and there, no mud whatsoever though there are muddy areas just outside the tunnels. The south tunnel seemed brighter - wasn't in proper darkness even halfway through, I don't know if there is any real difference or whether the fading afternoon light made the north tunnel seem darker, it was pitch darkness deep inside. No air shafts in either tunnel but both have many arched refuges at intervals, built of stone with the bedrock visible inside, the tunnels were draughty and quite cold at this time of year. I thought this would be a fairly brief explore but was surprised to see I'd been several hours in the tunnels, time tends to fly underground also the walk between the tunnels is longer than I'd expected. Looks like a landslip must have occurred to the north of the south tunnel ( the line is engineered into a hillside with ground dropping away steeply to the west), the old trackbed suddenly dips down steeply (by rail standards) and then rises back to the level, this couldn't have been present when trains were running as the effect would have felt like a rollercoaster to people on the train.

Concrete lined south tunnel
IMG_7852.JPG

IMG_7859.JPG

IMG_7861.JPG

North tunnel with concrete wall/brick roof
IMG_7867.JPG

IMG_7871.JPG

IMG_7883.JPG

IMG_7884.JPG

Access point off the B996 Glenfarg Road.
WP_20230203_14_23_07_Pro.jpg

South tunnel, looking northeast.
WP_20230203_14_29_02_Pro.jpg

End of the north tunnel, there's a degree of graffiti in these tunnels but its not excessive.
WP_20230203_15_14_11_Pro.jpg

Looking north from outside the north portal of south tunnel, a small viaduct was built to carry a farm track across the cutting.
WP_20230203_15_14_37_Pro__highres.jpg

IMG_7873.JPG

WP_20230203_15_15_49_Pro.jpg
The cars were an Astra and a Cavalier, they were burned out a long time ago. I have driven through the tunnels but that was about thirty years ago. The road at the north end was open and lots of cars would be parked on the track over the viaduct, it used to be a rest and meeting place for a lot of traveling salesmen. I think it was closed because of the car burning problems.