real time web analytics
Report - - Rail House, Crewe - January 2024 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rail House, Crewe - January 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
January 2024

The Visit
After a trip South with @stranton , we decided to make a pit stop at this intriguing location. Being a local, I had known about this towering thirteen-story structure for quite some time, and despite my previous failed attempts, I was determined to finally conquer it. And on that chilly January morning, luck was on our side. Within minutes of arriving, we found ourselves inside the building, freely exploring the ground floor before venturing further up. However, our excitement was short-lived as we reached the first floor and discovered that it had been stripped down to bare brick, a trend that continued throughout the rest of the building. But little did we know, the best was yet to come!

Undeterred, we climbed all thirteen flights of stairs, reaching the top floor in no time. To our dismay, a thick fog had settled over the town, obscuring our view beyond a few meters (See photo 5 below). Disappointed but not defeated, we reluctantly began our descent, vowing to return on a clearer day. As we made our way back to the ground floor, we took our time exploring each room in search of anything worth capturing on camera. Just as we were about to leave, we noticed the fog starting to lift and the weather improving outside. Excited by this unexpected turn of events, we quickly agreed to make our way back up to the roof for some shots. Once again, we climbed the thirteen flights of stairs and were rewarded with breathtaking views of Crewe and the picturesque Cheshire countryside.

Since the building had been mostly stripped, I decided to focus my report on the roof. However, I have included a few photos showcasing the interior of the building for those who may be interested.

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 19.12.51.png

Left: Rail House seen shortly after opening in July 1968 / Right: A photo taken from the roof during construction.​

The History
Rail House, a towering structure that has graced the skyline of Crewe since its completion in 1967, was originally built as the central office for British Rail's London Midland (LM) Region. The construction of this impressive building was entrusted to Taylor Woodrow, based on a design by the talented architect Roy Moorcroft. Upon completion, the building was the tallest in Crewe and very possibly in the whole of Cheshire East, a title it still holds to this day. This remarkable facility, which was meticulously planned by British Rail's Civil Engineer's Department, boasted various features such as a Regional Control Office, a Computer Centre, and a prominent tower block. The plans for the building were finalised in July 1966. Upon opening, Rail House included storage space for 200 bicycles, cleverly arranged in two 100-space racks. Rail House symbolised the continuation of a rich railway legacy in Crewe, extending beyond the renowned engineering and manufacturing activities centred around Crewe Works. It stood as a testament to the enduring presence of railway business in the area. Following the privatisation of British Rail in the 1990's ownership of the site passed into private hands and, as the state-owned operation ceased, the floors of the building were leased out to private companies. In 2016 an application was submitted to Cheshire East Council to convert the building into flats, this plan was rejected by the council and the building continued to be used as office space. That is until 2020, when dwindling occupancy rates coupled with the Coronavirus pandemic saw the final few tenants leave and the building sitting completely empty.

Rail House is actually only one of three buildings that made up the London Midland Region office, to the north and connected by a three-storey footbridge is the much smaller Nantwich House, which has now been converted into HMO's, and to the south of the tower is the small building that once sat the British Rail Computer Centre which is still sat vacant. Over the years, Rail House has sparked debates among locals regarding its architectural significance. While some have called for its demolition, others recognise its potential. Recently, another set of plans have submitted to Cheshire East Council to transform the building into 168 self-contained apartments. Just as they did in 2016, the authority refused permission, casting uncertainty over the future of this iconic structure. However, efforts had already been made to prepare the site, with extensive stripping away taking place on all but the ground floor, which for some reason remains untouched.

GRONK_Crewe_Rail_House10.jpg

[1] - External Shot of Rail House.

GRONK_Crewe_Rail_House3.jpg

[2] - Reception/ Security Desk.

GRONK_Crewe_Rail_House1.jpg

[3] - A typical floor in the building.

GRONK_Crewe_Rail_House2.jpg

[4] - The bridge connecting Rail House with Nantwich House.

GRONK_Crewe_Rail_House1 (copy).jpg

[5] - A very foggy Crewe skyline.

GRONK_Crewe_Rail_House4.jpg

[6] - looking North-West towards Crewe town centre.

GRONK_Crewe_Rail_House5.jpg

[7] - Looking East over Crewe Railway Station.

GRONK_Crewe_Rail_House6.jpg

[8] - Looking South towards the Crewe Alex Stadium (Up The Railwaymen!).

GRONK_Crewe_Rail_House8.jpg

[9] - Looking West towards Nantwich and North Wales.

GRONK_Crewe_Rail_House9.jpg

[11] - looking North towards Crewe Town Centre.​

Cheers for looking :thumb
Fujifilm X-T2, 10-24mm​

Last edited:

Zoemilly

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I’ve been trying this on and off for months 🙈 Going to have to go go back and have a harder go! Awesome rooftop shots of the lovely Crewe! 👌🏻

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
I’ve been trying this on and off for months 🙈 Going to have to go go back and have a harder go! Awesome rooftop shots of the lovely Crewe! 👌🏻
Yeah I’ve been trying it since the last tenants vacated, it’s certainly taken some work! Haha

Zoemilly

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah I’ve been trying it since the last tenants vacated, it’s certainly taken some work! Haha
I used to collect lease cars off staff that worked there and it’s like abandoned since about 2015 😂 always knew it wouldn’t be long 😍

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Looks like the goons have been in, lots of broken windows appearing since our visit :(
IMG_5610.jpeg

Who has read this thread (Total: 244) View details