real time web analytics
Report - - Godstone Main Series Mine - Surrey - March 2016 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Godstone Main Series Mine - Surrey - March 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Godstone Main Series Fire and Hearth Stone Quarry

Brief History:

Godstone Main Series is a Hearthstone and Firestone Quarry in Surrey. There is evidence that quarrying was taking place in Godstone in the 17th century. The are a number of quarries below Godstone hill, such as Marden, the largest area of the quarry is known as ‘Main Series’.
Throughout the quarry evidence can be seen that show differing uses it had over the years and the modifications that were made to the Quarry. In around the mid 1800’s metal rails called plate rails were fitted to the floor to enable the carts to be more easily pulled out. Prior to this the carts were dragged over the floor and formed ruts in the stone. It was into these ruts that the plate rails were fitted. The carts were pulled by teams of horses, usually 3, and evidence can be seen along the haulage routes where the carts and harnesses have come into contact with the corners of the route leaving big gouge and wear marks.

The quarry saw a variety of uses after stone removal ceased. Primarily the site was used for mushroom farming between 1900 – 1930 and there is a lot of evidence to back this up. There are doorways, water routes and mushroom bed still in situ along with graffiti from the mushroom growers. The second use for the site was during the Second World War when it was considered, but not actually used, as a munitions store. Many areas of the quarry have been tidied up for this purpose and a small gauge railway installed in readiness. None of this was used and the site became an ‘unofficial’ shelter for the public from the wartime bombing campaigns. No evidence of this use exists. The quarry had stopped being worked by the 1950’s and has lain empty and silent ever since.

The Derp:
Many have been trying to access this mine for years but failed (myself included). As some of you may know she is locked up tight, you know what they say, perseverance is key, as long as you never give up anything is possible so I got myself back to the drawing board time after time again until bingo an idea finally came into my head so it was time to round up the gang and set off for godstone. As we saw the sign for godstone for what hopefully was the last time I did let off a little scream in my head, excited, we arrived and what do you know, I clicked my fingers and we appeared inside :D 'a magician never reveals his secrets'.

The mine itself was so vast I have never been down one like it, the air was clean, the never ending network was spectacular, some of the passages were so small it would have made someones head with claustrophobia explode! I mean I'm no fatty and I was breathing in.

All in all a fantastic explore with a few great guys 'Medwaydan' 'woody1112' & 'Porkerofthenight'

Sorry about the two different sizes of photos my DSLR packed up and had to grab another one to go back and get the shots I wanted ;)

Anyways enough of the babbling :D

Godstone%202_zpsnirjk81e.jpg

5_zpsbrcvam5v.jpg

3_zpsyyapoed7.jpg

10_zps4myipw0t.jpg

12_zpsaac9734w.jpg

1_zpseozd7chn.jpg

6_zpsbud3ecoz.jpg

2_zpseyzqvphf.jpg

4_zpsvwypumq7.jpg

9_zpsrp4emfo3.jpg

11_zpsn7nwxuc4.jpg

Tricycle_zpslgk9sztb.jpg

Godstone%201_zpsokcxvoti.jpg

sandbag%20alley_zpszdizqmqf.jpg

Slim%201_zps3dhzyi2c.jpg

Little%20tricycle%20eyes_zpsqin7vulv.jpg

Last edited:

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Despite your ageing camera mate you did a good job with these,and Thank you once again for the heads up on this ,was nice to finally get in here ourselves after a few wasted trips and an amount of head scratching!
Nice to see you out and about and shoving a report up :thumb

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers guys ;) yeah my D100 is an old girl now, time for a good full frame low light beast upgrade me thinks :D