real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - The Godstone Main Series Firestone Mine, Surrey - October 2020 | Mines and Quarries | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) The Godstone Main Series Firestone Mine, Surrey - October 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I tried a couple of times to get into these mines after reading about them in an old library book in 2002 when I lived in Kent but only located one or two blocked up entrances and the grilled off Roman Road entrance. Its remarkably neat looking for a stone mine but I think that reflects that it was worked with stone saws for building material and not blasted, the rock was apparently quite soft when extracted but hardened on exposure to air.

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I tried a couple of times to get into these mines after reading about them in an old library book in 2002 when I lived in Kent but only located one or two blocked up entrances and the grilled off Roman Road entrance. Its remarkably neat looking for a stone mine but I think that reflects that it was worked with stone saws for building material and not blasted, the rock was apparently quite soft when extracted but hardened on exposure to air.
Ah interesting mate, yeh I’m not all that clued up on rock types and what not. Definitely something worth looking into

SoutheasternExplorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've been wanting to visit this place for a while now, I don't live too far away, and know the location of the notorious manhole, but I didn't realise it was alarmed. Just as well I haven't tried opening it yet

Hidinginplanesite

Khurbanx
28DL Full Member
Just been researching more into this mine and iv got back into my underground stuff ! Something I’m defo gonna check out once lockdown ends ! As I know who I need to contact too !

lucky I have a few close friends who are all just mines people !

Who has read this thread (Total: 346) View details