real time web analytics
Question - - Google maps | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Google maps

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Young One

need a better torch :/
28DL Full Member
Is anyone else having issues where certain parts of the country are on old horrible maps where either parts are more modern? And is there a fix for it?

Screenshot_20240213_155512_Maps.jpg
all of the old map should be new as it was before

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
In short, no. It's a case of waiting for Google to re-survey thoes areas.

There are other online maps, the names I can't recall right now, but these are less detailed closer to the ground as they're often using satellite images only.
Google maps, if I recall correctly, collect thier images from aircraft and other surveys which is why areas can appear with random patches in different lighting conditions or quality.

Last edited:

RealBBNC

Fence lover
28DL Full Member

There are other online maps, the names I can't recall right now, but these are less detailed closer to the ground as they're often using satellite images only. Google maps, if I recall correctly, collect thier images from Aircraft.
Like OS maps? (ordinance survey) or is there another type

tigger

mog
Regular User
Consider other sources of aerial imagery. For Norfolk there is historical and recent available via the County domains. The recent is unlikely to be more up to date than gargoyle. Also consider using the gargoyle streetview as that is often more up to date than the aerial in rural areas. Other sources of imagery are greenfruit aerial view (and whatever they call their street level stuff), Here, Bing, Ordnance (note the spelling) Survey probably use Here or Bing but you'd have to check. Scotland has it's own very nice aerial imagery online.
Other counties often have maps and aerial views, including hsitoric stuff, available online. Most Counties/Unitary Authoritys have their Definitive map online. Whilst the online version is not the legally binding one it will be kept up to date and as such is very good for rights of way.
Then there are council planning departments, estate agents etc. Often these will use individual aerial imagery sourced separately from the well known ones...eg. estate agents using quadcopter footage.

Really are spolied for choice now if you bother to do some research.

Last edited:

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User

There are other online maps, the names I can't recall right now, but these are less detailed closer to the ground as they're often using satellite images only.
Google maps, if I recall correctly, collect thier images from aircraft and other surveys which is why areas can appear with random patches in different lighting conditions or quality.

Google sources it's map imagery from all sorts of planes and satellites, the online Google Maps uses the best quality available imagery for an area at any one time, which is sometimes years out of date. Google Earth defaults to the latest imagery even if it's not as good, but you can scroll through all previous imagery to find better quality.

Bing Maps on desktop browser has an OS overlay which is incredibly useful however you can't get it to work on mobile browsers weirdly.