real time web analytics
Report - - Granada Cinema, Tooting - July 2015 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Granada Cinema, Tooting - July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The_Raw

Staff member
This currently serves as a Gala bingo hall but it used to be a cinema and the upstairs is no longer in use. Seeing as there is no Bingo infiltration section I thought I'd post it in here.

I went for a nose around with @extreme_ironing one evening after @PlapPlap tipped me off that much of the place has been disused for years. We found our way up to the upper circle which is gathering dust and has some paint peeling off the walls in places and from there we found our way inside the projection room. A couple of old projectors that haven't moved for over 40 years were a nice find and there were a few other bits and pieces up there. We got inside the attic and on top of the roof but there wasn't much to see in all honesty. Anyway it's a spectacular building and a real shame to see it going to waste. There were only 2 people playing bingo in the entire place on a Friday night. We shouted bingo from the balcony for shits and giggles before we left, only to find ourselves locked upstairs. This was followed swiftly by an embarrassing call to staff down below to come and let us out. Not Pro :D

Bit of history from the t'interweb. The cinema opened on 7 September 1931, as one of the Granada chain, and screened movies sometimes with stage shows or organ recitals until it closed as a cinema on 10 November 1973. The seating capacity was over 3000, and was often completely sold-out. The building, which became the first cinema to be preserved and given a Grade I listing, was designed by Cecil Massey in the Art Deco style with four Corinthian style pillars over the entrance. It was the interior, however that was (and is still) spectacular. Stars such as Frank Sinatra, Danny Kaye, The Andrews Sisters and Carmen Miranda gave concerts there. After closing as a cinema the building reopened as a bingo hall.

The cinema opened on 7 September 1931, as one of the Granada chain, and screened movies sometimes with stage shows or organ recitals until it closed as a cinema on 10 November 1973. The seating capacity was over 3000, and was often completely sold-out. Stars such as Frank Sinatra, Danny Kaye, The Andrews Sisters and Carmen Miranda gave concerts there. After closing as a cinema the building reopened as a bingo hall.

BINGO!
19412142418_6c64148415_b.jpg

Amazing architecture
19413546249_4dd1c022de_b.jpg

An old spotlight gathering dust
19412149978_e5a9b9aacf_b.jpg

Dusty seats with the odd broken one.....
19604475641_caf710ec7a_b.jpg

The lost projectors
19604507731_69849ebaa1_c.jpg

19600170225_b3d605fab4_c.jpg

Natural light coming through from the auditorium
19412163598_932980fcf9_b.jpg

The Hall of Mirrors
19593194202_6b6691a93c_b.jpg

Cheers @PlapPlap :p

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nicely done mate, it"s certainly an impressive building shot well as per...:thumb

And worth the embarrassment :D

TranKmasT

"You BOY!
Regular User
Projectors still in situ is a bonus :thumb What a shame to waste such a beautiful hall on bloody bingo!

Nowadays I think bingo halls of this discription have a certain charm and are dieing out. Mainly due to the poxy online model.

Great report!

Budice

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Bloody Hell!!!! Amazing place, totally wasted as a bingo hall, although the one blessing is that it is in use and not about to be knocked down

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Theatre > Bingo > Functional Void

Basic timeline to most of these buildings. They don't lend themselves well to conversion, hence why they've been falling into disuse and disappearing at the rate they have.

Pleased you made this into a fully-fledged report. I can spaff at will now rather than search endlessly through a general photo thread. Lovely interiors.

The_Raw

Staff member
It was so quiet in there I have no idea how they're staying afloat. There were heaps of staff dotted around and only 2 people playing bingo, the staff looked a bit bored and deflated tbh. Wonder how long it will continue like that?