real time web analytics
Report - - Grange Lido. Grange-over-Sands, May 19 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Grange Lido. Grange-over-Sands, May 19

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
History

Grade II listed designed by Council Surveyor Bernard Smith the lido was built in 1932. Accessed off the promenade in |Grange over sands it is a salt water lido complete with ancillary buildings including entrance block with upper viewing gallery and sun decks, changing wings, terraces, pump house, paddling pool and a stepped diving stage. The pool was un heated and used filtered sea water on a high tide.

In the 70’s repair work was carried out to the concrete beams below the entrance building and reinforcements to the sea tanks. In 1977 the lido was badly flooded due to high tides breaching its outer wall.

Like most seaside resorts before the 60s Grange over Sands was booming and the lido was no exception. Since then, sadly, there has been a change in culture with more people opting to holiday elsewhere and along with changes to health and safety outdoor pools become disused and demolished in most cases. In the 30’s there was over 180 outdoor pools, by 2005 only a third remained.

In 1993 the pool closed after a survey found that it would not be cost effective to maintain it. Since then the tide has shifted and is quite some way back now, isolating the lido from the sea and surrounding it in marshland.

In 2011 the lido was granted Grade !! listed status for being a complete example of a 1930s lido with all ancillary buildings surviving, along with its historic reminder of how popular seaside towns used to be with their inter war cult of fresh air and leisure.

More recently the lido appeared in the ITV crime drama The Bay.

Explore

I was out with my family for the day and had a nice walk around Grange over sands so I made a little detour off the prom for 10 minutes and had a quick run around here. I didn’t manage to check out all of the buildings and the ones I did was a just a quick look in the odd room. Just mainly due to being strapped for time and not wanting to leave the other half waiting on me.

Pics

Just a mega mega cropped image I took showing the lido surrounded by marsh stuck on the promenade.

DSC_7033.jpg

Paddling pool

DSC_7038.jpg

Main entrance and viewing gallery

DSC_7039.jpg

Looking down from the diving boards to the main entrance block and the gents changing rooms to the left.

DSC_7060.jpg

Smashed up café above the gents changing rooms

DSC_7057.jpg

Diving platforms

DSC_7044.jpg

DSC_7066.jpg

I think this is from the 80s

IMG_7174.jpg

looking towards the slide and diving boards in the 30s

IMG_7172.jpg

The same view today. Notice the top diving board is gone and archway filled in. The slide and diving boards were removed in 1993.

DSC_7061.jpg

Looking down from the sundeck above the gents changing rooms. 1960’s

IMG_7173.jpg

Selfie in the same spot. Railings have changed too.

DSC_7056.jpg

Diving stage again

DSC_7073.jpg

In busier times

IMG_7176.jpg

old turnstiles

DSC_7092.jpg

Inside the womens changing rooms

DSC_7077.jpg

and overlooking the main pool before I left.

DSC_7087.jpg

Cheers​

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Like this alot. Sucker for lidos. And top marks for the before and after shots too. And know this quick opportunist explore all too well!

MrDevla

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I saw this on TV a few weeks back and planned to call in when in the area as I'd never heard of it before that. Great report and photos though

BooBoo-Reebie

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

Grade II listed designed by Council Surveyor Bernard Smith the lido was built in 1932. Accessed off the promenade in |Grange over sands it is a salt water lido complete with ancillary buildings including entrance block with upper viewing gallery and sun decks, changing wings, terraces, pump house, paddling pool and a stepped diving stage. The pool was un heated and used filtered sea water on a high tide.

In the 70’s repair work was carried out to the concrete beams below the entrance building and reinforcements to the sea tanks. In 1977 the lido was badly flooded due to high tides breaching its outer wall.

Like most seaside resorts before the 60s Grange over Sands was booming and the lido was no exception. Since then, sadly, there has been a change in culture with more people opting to holiday elsewhere and along with changes to health and safety outdoor pools become disused and demolished in most cases. In the 30’s there was over 180 outdoor pools, by 2005 only a third remained.

In 1993 the pool closed after a survey found that it would not be cost effective to maintain it. Since then the tide has shifted and is quite some way back now, isolating the lido from the sea and surrounding it in marshland.

In 2011 the lido was granted Grade !! listed status for being a complete example of a 1930s lido with all ancillary buildings surviving, along with its historic reminder of how popular seaside towns used to be with their inter war cult of fresh air and leisure.

More recently the lido appeared in the ITV crime drama The Bay.

Explore

I was out with my family for the day and had a nice walk around Grange over sands so I made a little detour off the prom for 10 minutes and had a quick run around here. I didn’t manage to check out all of the buildings and the ones I did was a just a quick look in the odd room. Just mainly due to being strapped for time and not wanting to leave the other half waiting on me.

Pics

Just a mega mega cropped image I took showing the lido surrounded by marsh stuck on the promenade.

DSC_7033.jpg

Paddling pool

DSC_7038.jpg

Main entrance and viewing gallery

DSC_7039.jpg

Looking down from the diving boards to the main entrance block and the gents changing rooms to the left.

DSC_7060.jpg

Smashed up café above the gents changing rooms

DSC_7057.jpg

Diving platforms

DSC_7044.jpg

DSC_7066.jpg

I think this is from the 80s

IMG_7174.jpg

looking towards the slide and diving boards in the 30s

IMG_7172.jpg

The same view today. Notice the top diving board is gone and archway filled in. The slide and diving boards were removed in 1993.

DSC_7061.jpg

Looking down from the sundeck above the gents changing rooms. 1960’s

IMG_7173.jpg

Selfie in the same spot. Railings have changed too.

DSC_7056.jpg

Diving stage again

DSC_7073.jpg

In busier times

IMG_7176.jpg

old turnstiles

DSC_7092.jpg

Inside the womens changing rooms

DSC_7077.jpg

and overlooking the main pool before I left.

DSC_7087.jpg

Cheers​
Suck a good writeup dude. I was just going to check this place out this weekend x

Who has read this thread (Total: 151) View details