real time web analytics
Report - - Lake Farm Pumping Station, West Norfolk - June 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lake Farm Pumping Station, West Norfolk - June 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
Continuing our hunt for old pumping stations around the washes in Norfolk and Cambridgeshire, me and @V50jake went to check out this and a few other sites last weekend. This is one I found on satellite imagery. It looks quite small on satellite imagery but was actually really nice.

Information & History
I’ve searched and searched for information on this site, but can’t seem to find much. It is situated on the Old Bedford River which was cut in the early 1600s and was completed in 1637. Lake Farm Pumping Station is the last pumping station on the Old Bedford River. It is a privately owned facility and drained a small part of the Ouse Washes. It is unknown how long this station has been disused.

The building itself is located on a public bridleway/footpath and is constructed of brick, there is a small roof vent that would have let out diesel fumes from inside and there is also an exterior light fixture. On the interior, the station consists of a centrifugal pump which is powered by a beautiful Blackstone diesel engine via a drive belt that runs to the pump. There are also a couple of chart recorders and a control panel near the engine. I showed @mingerocket a short video walkaround of the site on my visit as he knows more about these than I do and reckons the engine is around 30HP.

blackstone.JPG

The site appears as a draining pump in early 1900s OS Maps, but also shows an L-shaped building beside the existing structure, so perhaps the site used to be larger.

1687696268681.png

The Explore
The visit itself was relaxed but it was quite a long walk, which can be said for many of the pumps me and Jake have visited recently in the area. I initially thought there was no entry points, but we found a loose board, it was a very tight squeeze as we didn't want to damage the board or screws. I really liked this place as it has some very old-school machinery inside but did find it a pain to photograph due to the lighting.

Onto the photos, starting off with some exterior pics:

IMG_8980.jpg

IMG_8993.jpg

IMG_9001.jpg

Inside, we were greeted with the lovely old pump:

IMG_8858-HDR.jpg

IMG_8865.jpg

IMG_8849-HDR.jpg

IMG_8895-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg

The Blackstone engine appears to be in pretty good condition:

IMG_8891-HDR.jpg

Nice old wooden doors:

IMG_8924-HDR.jpg

IMG_8885-HDR.jpg

IMG_8921-HDR.jpg

IMG_8927-HDR.jpg

The belt which runs down to the pump:

IMG_8930-HDR.jpg

Control panel & electrical board, with the chart recorders:

IMG_8876-HDR.jpg

Some detail shots:

IMG_8931-Enhanced-NR.jpg

IMG_8942-Enhanced-NR.jpg

IMG_8944.jpg

And finally, the outlet which goes into the Old Bedford River:

IMG_9004.jpg

And that is all, thanks for looking!

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Stunning, the light looks great inside.
I need to get over to Norfolk later this year
Thank you mate, the lighting was great for the pump but was more difficult the other end. Lots of things for you to check out this way now, still nothing beats Southery in my opinion.

So much to like here. Another brilliant station.
Thanks mate, it was a lovely surprise as didn't know what to expect, I've got another one to post in the coming weeks aswell.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Definitely surprising this one! We were pretty much done by the time we got to the building, felt like that walk went on for ages, but as soon as I looked in the fire was re-lit ahahah. These photos came out well! Made me laugh how the light worked too

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Definitely surprising this one! We were pretty much done by the time we got to the building, felt like that walk went on for ages, but as soon as I looked in the fire was re-lit ahahah. These photos came out well! Made me laugh how the light worked too
Yep, I remember when we walked close to it it looked like it would be 100% sealed but we definitely got lucky! The working light was really good and helped us quite a bit actually!
Another great pump house mate. Swear you and Jake are banging out more reports than the forum put together lately :rofl
Cheers Mikey, yeah I've got into a good rhythm of getting a report out a week, trying to vary it with various sites but I wish I could post a pump house a week consistently.
Writing out reports has become a bit of an addiction ahaha
It really has, but there's worse things to be addicted to lol.

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm intrigued by all these pump houses you're covering! Tempted to try and hunt some down in my neck of the woods, I've managed one by chance so far, was mostly stripped though unfortunately

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice find. Good job. Lovely images too. Everything to like, nothing to dislike here.
Thank you Jane, some lovely features inside.
I'm intrigued by all these pump houses you're covering! Tempted to try and hunt some down in my neck of the woods, I've managed one by chance so far, was mostly stripped though unfortunately
Thank you mate, I'm really loving them at the moment and still trying to find more! There are a lot I have visited have been mostly or fully stripped out so I only post the best ones, but me and Jake have found some cracking stations between us so far. We plan to do some more trips to the Fenland area in the coming months to find more, there's still a couple more to come that I am yet to post! What area are you from?

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thank you mate, I'm really loving them at the moment and still trying to find more! There are a lot I have visited have been mostly or fully stripped out so I only post the best ones, but me and Jake have found some cracking stations between us so far. We plan to do some more trips to the Fenland area in the coming months to find more, there's still a couple more to come that I am yet to post! What area are you from?
Somerset! I look forward to seeing more, you've definitely found some proper gems!

Who has read this thread (Total: 142) View details