real time web analytics
Report - - Grid-Lock, Manchester - April 2015. | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Grid-Lock, Manchester - April 2015.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Grid-lock, Manchester

Essentially A.N Other screened CSO located on the outskirts of Manchester, serving 3 small sewers and eventually outfalls into the Irwell

The only clue something lies below is this surface building which houses the controls for the associated machinery below ground

1.jpg

I'd almost forgotten about this one, until I drove past here the other week

Myself and Nick took advantage of the recent sunshine and went for a closer look finally

A fair bit of crawling on this one

So Nick used his point & shoot for much of it, including the smaller sewers that feed into this system as I simply cba to get the dslr until we reached the screening chamber

Manhole No.1 drops into barely a 2ft sewer as it heads in from a Northerly direction

Excuse Nicks pic here, but the chamber was fairly confined and was impractical to be messing about with the dslr

2.jpg

Ping pong balls ?

..Either way the sewer runs beneath this fetid head of arse foam and out the other side towards the screening chamber

I was unfortunate enough to have my left leg and entire wellie engulfed in this festering pipe!

Keen to see the screening chamber we went in search of a suitable way in, sadly the lids are locked up

We resorted to crawling up a 3ft pipe which is actually the overflow for the system

3.jpg

Luckily it was dry, stooping is one thing, but crawling through shit pipes is no fun and I'd sworn I wouldn't do it again!

Still, every holes a goal..

A small inspection chamber was in sight, it allowed for some respite before continuing on

4.jpg

5.jpg

Eventually we were inside the screening chamber

It's only small and contains an archimedes screw which runs the length of it; used to filter the solids during peak flows

6.jpg

7.jpg

Comprising a double sided weir, the screw is situated on the primary overflow

8.jpg

I climbed over to the sewer for some pics and no sooner had Nick stepped up the machinery started turning

Luckily for him it was just cycling through a self test which these things do periodically to keep them lubricated etc

He may have scraped having his foot whipped off, but shortly after popped a rib trying to evade the sewer :D

The sewer runs through a 3ft channel between the 2 weirs, it's silted up with fatty deposits & rags which kicks up a right stench

Here, the incoming line is around 3ft, but beyond soon shrinks back to 2ft as seen upstream at the start of this thread

9.jpg

It exits through a much smaller aperture at the other side of the CSO

10.jpg

It was sweltering down here, so we crawled back out into the fresh air

Once out, I managed to locate a couple of lids which led to the downstream section of sewer

The pics Nick took have come out a bit too dark, however there isn't much to see other than a 2ft streak of piss anyway

Time to leave

11.jpg

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
Aye, it was a nice evening for it. Saying my pics are wank, is like saying grass is green. At least I got one of you doing some graft. ;)
You'll be pleased to know my rib is killing today. :( All good. :thumb

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Interesting little CSO. Those little pipes are a bit claustrophobic for my liking.
Props for getting the cameras out in such a confined space!

woody1112

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
always a good read Ojay, your descriptions are very ammusing 'fetid head of arse foam' has to be one of your best :thumb