real time web analytics
Report - - Gunpowder Works, Chilworth, Jan '09 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gunpowder Works, Chilworth, Jan '09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rousing_Raven

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ok this may be more worthy of the recycle bin but after learning a bit about the history and momentous importance of the place, I thought it would be silly not to try.

A ‘watered down’ history:
Established in 1626 by East India Company this was one of the largest and oldest powder mills in the UK also the most prestigious. They employed 600 people at its peak (though most of these weren’t directly employed at the mills) owned by a number of different companies over the decades/centuries it became the most important supplier of gunpowder to the government. In 1885 the mills were used by a consortium to invent a new type of powder known as ‘brown’ or ‘cocoa’ Also, around this time the mills were under the control of a former Prussian officer in order to ‘keep it in the family’.

The site consisted of many buildings spread apart and separated by mounds for obvious reasons. The mill was powered by the Tillingbourne, a tributary of the River Wey, this had a very strong flow of water due to a steep gradient ..that being 965 foot hill, the highest point in south east England. The Tillingbourne still flows strong, running along the northern side while a man-made race ran along the southern side (which is now calm and still)

Closed in 1920 after a huge slump in demand for explosives after the First World War.

There was at one point a Hopfield that produced hops for the workers beer! which was also brewed at the mills. ..no I cant imagine that today either!

More detailed info on English Heritage:
English Heritage

703c2e6e.jpg

64ea1231.jpg

79c5d9f2.jpg

ee124576.jpg

3af3cbf3.jpg

35c61764.jpg

6479bf28.jpg

10d46622.jpg

6b3c7099.jpg

787e17dd.jpg

ddf51ad5.jpg

16c93b9f.jpg

326e2909.jpg

I think this was where the mills were driven, the narrow channel ensured a stronger flow, you can see some evidence on the wall of this, but couldn't see any major evidence of a shaft
0f1823b1.jpg

5918a74a.jpg

fbfab97d.jpg

e1d5a457.jpg