real time web analytics
Report - - H Shutt & Co, Wool Merchants Bradford, Oct 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - H Shutt & Co, Wool Merchants Bradford, Oct 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Little to no history on this one, only what I've managed to piece together myself.

There is an area in Bradford called "Little Germany", so called because a number of German merchants took up premises in the area in the early 1900's to take advantage of the bustling wool trade the city once had. Schutt seems to have been one of these merchants.

On first glance the mill looked like one of the most fetted crack pits we had ever seen, enough to stop Turk venturing further than the threshold. Needles don't bother proper explorers too much so Squirrel OT and I braved a mooch inside.

The mill is pretty empty but very original. Half is decimated from a fire but the other half is explorable, despite spongy floors and a heavy dusting of skag paraphernalia.

By far the most interesting find lay on top of a sack of coal in the basement, a pile of 30's paperwork which contained amongst other things a bundle of 1938/39 German newspapers which must have belonged to the owner or perhaps another German worker. I'm sure they would make very interesting reading if I could only read German!

DSC_0859_zpsf8b7b385.jpg

DSC_0858_zps9fcb22e5.jpg

DSC_0857_zpsd10c40ec.jpg

DSC_0856_zpsdcc88bd3.jpg

CSC_0855_zps759dceda.jpg

DSC_0854_zpsfeec64bd.jpg

DSC_0853_zps4715a6d3.jpg

DSC_0852_zps0b5c1d7c.jpg

DSC_0851_zpsc22a99ea.jpg
CSC_0849_zps6fced395.jpg

DSC_0843_zps75d92870.jpg

DSC_0840_zps56e43e6a.jpg

I keep seeing these sharpened pegs in wool mills. I've managed to find out they were used for fastening the jute sacks of wool together
DSC_0838_zps90767300.jpg
DSC_0835_zps3454b85e.jpg

DSC_0837_zps0c893d42.jpg

DSC_0826_zps25050de6.jpg

DSC_0824_zpsaac38ca6.jpg

DSC_0823_zps86c65f34.jpg

fidget64

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is the one where a druggie died isn't it? There was a makeshift memorial outside to him, apparently he fell down somewhere and was trapped and his equally druggie mate left him there. We didn't get in properly, a few years ago, access was only via the fire damaged bit and after 2 near death experiences we gave it up as a bad job! Those papers are fascinating, I love stuff like that :)

Squirrell 911

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I can't believe turk didn't want to play catch with the partially full sharps box. :)
Agreed it was a needle filled cesspit.

Squirrell 911

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This is the one where a druggie died isn't it? There was a makeshift memorial outside to him, apparently he fell down somewhere and was trapped and his equally druggie mate left him there. We didn't get in properly.

It was a fireman that fell through the floor AFAIK.

jST

LLS.
Regular User

Proper tragedy that, my Mrs used to work at the Solicitors on the corner and remembers it all unfolding. The building adjacent has some interesting looking upper floors, you could look down on it from her ex-office building and there looks to be some proper treasures in there, have tried many times to get in but it is well sealed / still used at low level.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
A tragedy?

He had a long history of self-harming, suicidal tendencies, alcohol and drug abuse and had also served four years in jail for kidnapping.

Personally I'm not convinced.

And if you're going to leave your ODing mate to die in a lift shaft, you don't leave £300 quid stuffed in his pants. Fail.