real time web analytics
Report - - H15 Prison – France – December 2105 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - H15 Prison – France – December 2105

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mockney reject

Staff member

The History

Prison H15 is an abandoned prison in France. Built using sandstone and brick, the prison could house almost 1500 inmates. The site has an interesting and varied history.

A Cistercian monastery was built in the early 1200's on the site on which the prison now stands. During the French revolution the building was nationalised and the monks were expelled. The site has been used a prison since the beginning of the nineteenth century.

Huge expansion of the site was planned for 1812, to convert the monastery into a workhouse for the poor and infirm. There were many delays and work did not begin until 1817, designed to accommodate 400 individuals of both sexes, and divided into four separate sections. At the time there was a lack of prisons in the area and sentences were being cut short due to overcrowding. Shortly after construction of the workhouse had commenced, the Interior Minister ordered the work be stopped, and a detention centre be built instead.

The plans were amended and construction of the central house resumed until 1822 when the first prisoners were received. The building could house up to 500 prisoners, one half reserved for corrections and the other half for criminals.

Refurbishment works took place alongside the construction of further dormitories, increasing the prisons population to 965 men and 532 women. A further prison was built on adjoining land to house female prisons and the original was used as a male-only prison from then onwards.

Facing a change in penitentiary systems the prison closed in 2011. The site has since seen a rapid demise as decay starts to set in and the buildings have been raided for scrap.

The Explore

I was supposed to have visited H15 back in august as part of a birthday trip that never happened, So when we decided to head to France for a long weekend, myself @slayaaaa & @mrstewie had H15 well and truly in our sights.

We pulled off of DFDS’s finest ferry and headed off in the direction of H15, on arrival we saw the huge gypsy site we had been warned about and set about finding somewhere to hide the car. After ditching the car we approached H15 on foot and were in complete awe at the size of the place.

We only had time to visit the men’s prison and had already been told this was the better one to look at. Entrance was damn easy and straight forward so in we went.

The insides of the prison are pretty crazy and completely trashed compared to other pictures I had seen of it. We still thoroughly enjoyed it and crossed another place off of our bucket list.

Enjoy the pics

DSC_1208_zps5z0afv1r.jpg

DSC_1206_zpsgippnepl.jpg

DSC_1199_zpsqw2fpzkj.jpg

DSC_1196_zps7wxc7w3t.jpg

DSC_1193_zpsexaq1mcz.jpg

DSC_1189_zpsngf3pcqn.jpg

DSC_1188_zps2syh12ec.jpg

DSC_1187_zps5i1nfmzz.jpg

DSC_1180_zpsgwgotu3i.jpg

DSC_1178_zps6kl35lge.jpg

DSC_1175_zpspqlvewtf.jpg

DSC_1169_zps67bl8tzu.jpg

DSC_1162_zpsugp4gqqy.jpg

DSC_1153_zpsa8tzhm8e.jpg

DSC_1151_zps0dkqlbkf.jpg

DSC_1150_zpslwg1vpsu.jpg

DSC_1141_zps4pgpj0un.jpg

DSC_1135_zpsfrlnnh5n.jpg

DSC_1125_zps4h3fyxpy.jpg

DSC_1212_zpszchmkjc6.jpg

Jim Sullivan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Dang that place is amazing! It sure has been trashed like crazy. It's hard to believe it's only been closed for a few years.

It looks huge, like you could spend a whole day exploring that place.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great shots, pity about all the shite graff. Im glad i got to see it before all that happened...looks like you had a cracking trip.

mockney reject

Staff member
@host i like graff but some of it was just scribbles for the sake of it.

I loved the place but was slightly envious that others had seen it in a better state

We had an awesome trip thanks :)

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
@host i like graff but some of it was just scribbles for the sake of it.

I loved the place but was slightly envious that others had seen it in a better state

We had an awesome trip thanks :)

Don't get me wrong mate i love graff too, my fav writers are french. Myst, tilt, O-clock, Andre. I just hate it when they do shit tags and throw ups for the sake of it, i think it could look amazing with some really good pieces in their....sometimes it adds to the feel of the place. Look forward to see what you do next year..