real time web analytics
Report - - Hammill Brickworks Sandwich Kent October 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hammill Brickworks Sandwich Kent October 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hammill Brick Works operated from a site at Woodnesborough, for over 80 years until the downturn in the building industry forced their eventual closure in 2008. The brickworks was built mainly on the site of the old Woodnesborough Colliery, and utilised some of the buildings there, although there have been newer structures added to the site over the years. Works at the site started in 1910 but the colliery operation never progressed beyond the sinking of two test shafts and the construction of surface buildings including an engine house, workshops and a chimney. In 1923, after the First World War, the mine was sold to Pearson & Dorman Long, owners of Betteshanger Colliery. In due course the site was sold on to the Hammill Brick Co. who built a brickworks on the site using some of the old colliery buildings and working clay extracted from a nearby clay seam within the Thanet Beds geology The brickworks opened in June 1927 and continued in operation until 2006. When the brickworks opened a two foot gauge line was built parallel to the standard gauge line and ran between the brickworks. Despite attempts to keep the site working the brickworks finally shut in 2008.

Neurox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report, this place was my first explore :) Lots of luxury homes on the site now but they have kept the two brick railway-style buildings and are renovating them into offices.

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report, this place was my first explore :) Lots of luxury homes on the site now but they have kept the two brick railway-style buildings and are renovating them into offices.
Thank you Neurox... always sad when buildings get demolished and replaced with housing ... but good they kept two of the buildings