real time web analytics
Report - - Harold Wood Hospital, Essex - November 2009 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Harold Wood Hospital, Essex - November 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Explored with Urban Junkie and Tucker.

The hospital was opened in 1909 by West Ham County Borough council, as the Grange convalescent home for children, which operated with the nearby Plaistow fever hospital. The Grange had been a private house, built in 1884 by John Compton, owner of the Gubbins estate. The convalescent home was maintained by the county borough until the Second World War, as an emergency hospital. After the war it became a permanent hospital, and in the 1960s was significantly enlarged.[1]
The hospital later became part of the Barking, Havering and Redbridge Hospitals NHS Trust. It was closed on 13 December 2006.

Until recently I thought there was only the mortuary here, and really couldn't be bothered to do all that way to see it. Only recently there has been more and more pictures of the hospital, so we decided to take a trip.

We weren't disappointed. First of all the mortuary, which wasn't as big as I thought. Somehow I thought it was immense, but it was just a usual size really. I didn't count the fridges, but there's quite a lot...

DSC_0292.jpg

There's three slabs...

DSC_0273.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

The 360 degree drain, I don't even want to think what this looked like after a busy day...

DSC_0275.jpg

I wonder if they ever used to clean under here...

DSC_0290.jpg

Another view of the slabs...

DSC_0291.jpg

Just a couple of random pictures...

"Shit, stitch his head back on and fill his chest with sawdust"...

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0283.jpg

Moving on to the rest of the hospital, there's a mix of old and new, and a lot of it.

Some detail from an old safe...

DSC_0297.jpg

The very yellow physiotherapy...

DSC_0305.jpg

DSC_0308.jpg

Just a bit of floor...

DSC_0313.jpg

In the newer bit of the hospital we found the recently posted A&E sign, and put it together properly...

DSC_0320.jpg

There were a lot of something-ology labs, reasonably intact...

DSC_0322.jpg

and several blood banks dotted over the place, I've never seen one before and I've been in dozens of hospitals...

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg

In the main reception area, it's very modern, with comfy seats and facilities...

DSC_0338.jpg

The pharmacy...

DSC_0336.jpg

There's dozens of wards, pretty boring standard stuff really...

DSC_0348.jpg

The only one that was slightly different was intensive care near the operating theatres.

There was at least six operating theatres here, plus we found some more elsewhere as well, and not the little minor injury type. It was dark by then though and we'll have to go back for that.

I love operating theatres... finding them not being cut up in them. I love the jewel like lights that just seem to float there, they almost look like aliens...

DSC_0356.jpg

DSC_0359.jpg

DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0365.jpg

All in all one of the best hospital sites around.