real time web analytics
Report - - hartford mill Oldham (June 2015) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - hartford mill Oldham (June 2015)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Desert head

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
hi guys.. Here's my report on Hartford mill in Oldham. I went with the Mrs and a few freinds. There's not much left but still a lovely place to walk around.

Hartford Cotton Mill in Oldham was built in 1907, Its a typical red brick spinning mill of a type that made Lancashire famous as the cotton spinning capital of the world.

The mill was expanded in 1920 and again in 1924, power was provided by a 1500hp Urmson & Thompson steam engine, capable of driving 120,000 spindles. Following the depression of the 1930's demand for cotton slumped causing factory closures and many workers to leave the industry. During the second world war there was a brief reprive as the cotton industry produced fabrics for war use, but by the mid 1950's the industry again in trouble as increased compentition from overseas sent the industry into a long slow decline. Hartford ended production in 1959.

The mill was reused by the retailer Littlewoods who used the buildings for distribution up until 1992. The buildings have been derelict since then and have been badly vandalised and there have been several fires. Not much remains of the mills prodction equiptment now and despite deing grade 2 listed it seems likely Hartford will be demolished to build another bland housing estate.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 267

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You need to delete the duplicate pic & 3 & 4 as they"re terrible i"d suggest, also put another space between the pics it"ll look better. And don"t post thumbnails mate add them as the others.

And if that"s your car in front on the Monkies on the fence i"d suggest you either remove it or obscure it"s ID as the last thing you"d want is being put at the scene if someone burnt the place yet again :eek:

Good start :thumb

Desert head

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As you can tell I'm new to the report, and no the car was nothing to do with us along with the other people, thanks for the comment and any advise is happily accepted

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
I didn't think this place would remain locked up tight for long, good effort getting in and the tiles in the engine house are always worth seeing :thumb

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
You can get to the base, possibly inside it too, but it's minging with all the fuel deposits. No other access and the whole site is earmarked for demolition soon.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
[QUOTENever seen those tiles before, looks nice, especially the sunset!][/QUOTE]

How did you miss them?! Best bit!!

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details