real time web analytics
Report - - Heaton TMD Carriage Sidings, Newcastle, May 2015. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Heaton TMD Carriage Sidings, Newcastle, May 2015.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Heaton Traction Maintenance Depot Carriage Sidings, Newcastle, May 15

Introduction:

Another place on our list of leads up north was this place, Heaton Carriage Sidings, both myself and Borolad where pretty excited about what we might find here, if the place could be accessed that is. We'd found a few old pics of the place from 1990 on flickr, showing the train shed still rammed with old dilapidated coaching stock and a few multiple units. We knew the chances of any actual rail vehicles remaining on site where slim, at the end of the day 25 years have passed since 1990, still we had high hopes that the building itself would be good enough if we could get in. We wasn't wrong! After arriving on site we got access almost immediately and found ourselves in a complete train shed, with plenty of artefacts and the rails still in situ.The place immediately gave off that awesome feel that most railway related derps give do, it's hard to explain the atmosphere, if you've not been on a railway related explore yet. Those who've done the likes of Mayfield, Crewe DMD, Euston Downside etc, will know exactly where I'm coming from. The sound of dripping water and high speed trains on the ECML just across the road make it a really awesome place to be, a feeling that can't really be captured on a camera, you have to go to experience it!

History:

Heaton Shed was originally constructed by the North Eastern Railway (NER) to provide a home for locomotives operating out of the Newcastle area, both passenger and freight locomotives where allocated. In 1954 the shed was taken over by British Railways as part of rail nationalisation in the UK, the shed was coded 52B North Eastern Region and had 95 locomotives allocated to it. The carriage sidings which is featured in this report (Heaton TMD Engine Shed is still in use with Northern Rail to the day) is believed to have closed in the mid/late 80's, probably due to a decline in loco hauled services, the Deltic's having been replaced by HST and loco hauled services now been operated mainly by pacer and sprinter units. The shed remained standing as a place to store defunct and condemned coaching stock through the 90's and into the 00's when the shed was finally severed from the mainline to become a sort of time capsule cut off from the rest of the working depot.

Pictures:

I have a fair few pics from this place so please bare with me, it's going to be a pic heavy one! As always more info will be added alongside photo's where relevant.

It's quite hard to get a photo of the exterior of the shed these days, so I've added one of the archive photo's from 1990 below. (Not my pic)

5665981148_97e942b2d6_b.jpg

Lets take a look inside! The train shed is pretty impressive, the whole place feels like an urban green house, it's certainly an oasis for local wildlife here!

18302336351_a166214c78_c.jpg

Euston Downside of the North?

18274407336_7627233fe5_c.jpg

18274397586_1262f86e2e_c.jpg

18114693099_7b611db892_c.jpg

18114688899_0f746ca989_c.jpg

Nature Taking over, this little fella was practically posing for me! Minolta X-700, Agfa ASA 200 Colour Film.

18279856845_9aa2947422_c.jpg

Minolta X-700, ASA 200 Agfa Colour Film.

18274580456_36414eab4b_c.jpg

Olympus OM-2, Ilford XP2 ASA 400 B&W Film.

18302462791_cf8bd291c1_c.jpg

18274615506_e3d0b1dd39_c.jpg

X-700...

17680412433_d569a24c5c_c.jpg

There's a fair few reminders of the place's history, BR marked Fire Extinguisher again taken on the X-700.

18113209608_392b289da8_c.jpg

British Rail Blue Mk1 Carriage Door... Minolta X-700.

18253428046_63cb86dd7e_c.jpg

Mk2 Coaching Stock Dividing Doors.

18113167710_d4c52eecaf_c.jpg

I could go on all day with pics of the train shed, it's so photogenic, but for the sake of exploration, here's a few of the side rooms and boiler house too.

There's a fair few rooms like this one, mainly stripped but with a few bits of interest, and peely paint...

17678233504_b620f35c35_c.jpg

This room was stuffed with old toilet doors out of MK2 Stock...

18274427936_68e7965191_c.jpg

Finally, the boiler room.

18302286361_cc6d6ee0c8_c.jpg

18113119740_71436f8cd2_c.jpg

17678237774_f9ed665a39_c.jpg

And that's all from me, get yourselves here, especially if you have any interest in your railways , place is brilliant for photo's too. I'll be re-visiting at some point that's for sure! :)

Cheers for reading,
TAW

Last edited:

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice to see inside again, I went 10 years ago and it was pretty much overgrown then. I work next door at Heaton traincare depot, not too long ago there was a guy living in there apparently. I have heard that the Metro are going to buy up all that land demolish everything and build a new maintenance depot along side ours, interesting to see if and when this goes ahead.

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
[picky]Are those not off a Mk 3 sleeper? Yellow, rotated back rather than bi-fold, and bigger windows on sleepers[/picky]

You're probably right mate, I wasn't a 100% but most the stuff seemed to belong to MK1's & 2's.

Nice to see inside again, I went 10 years ago and it was pretty much overgrown then. I work next door at Heaton traincare depot, not too long ago there was a guy living in there apparently. I have heard that the Metro are going to buy up all that land demolish everything and build a new maintenance depot along side ours, interesting to see if and when this goes ahead.

Cheers for the info, glad we got to see it before any of the planned works have chance to go ahead, I can totally see why someone would pick here to live in too, despite how it looks in the images the roof's still pretty water tight.

Great pal bet you lost a few hours in there dint ya?

Cheers, certainly did, a good 4 hours I reckon!

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No one should be knocking Poindland film, it shoots better than any amount mega pixelz.
Sweet find, looks a lot like euston downside.
Love the doors!

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User

unlikly too ever happen,
as Gosforth TM & RSd is in a brillient location for east & west access
both from & to all routes
the buildings are in excellent condition recently been refurbished.

the site at Heaton isnt viable mainly because of its position,
the current depot is sort of central too operations whereas Heaton isnt.

Explored UK

Banned
Banned
Is this still abandoned? If so, where abouts is it located, can't find anywhere about the location?

Thanks, Adam

-Sorry for bringing up an old thread

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Is this still abandoned? If so, where abouts is it located, can't find anywhere about the location?

Thanks, Adam

A friendly word of warning. Asking for locations will get you a lot of stick, unless you contribute to the forum and share your own stuff with other people. Take a bit more time and effort to visit Google to begin with. If you type Heaton TMD into the search box you will discover that you have found your location. The whole endeavour will take you about ten seconds.

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User

Thanks, Adam

As far as I'm aware the situation's still the same, I've been back since this report though, so your best bets to go check it out.

No need to apologise either, bumps my thread ;)