real time web analytics
Report - - Hemsby Pontins, Norfolk (May/April 2015) | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hemsby Pontins, Norfolk (May/April 2015)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Freeformation

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This site is a little bit of an obsession. The other half of this exploring duo spends every summer in Hemsby and suggested that we take a trip when it was more quiet with the prime purpose of checking this out, not sunbathing on the beach as I found out.
Anyway bit of history first:

After making substantial losses Pontins closed their doors after the summer of 2008. Speaking to a regular visitor to the site this was met with some surprise as he maintains that it was always busier than other nearby holiday camps, and even in its final season it was rammed. This site certainly had a lot to offer: 512 chalets, go karts, a zip wire, swimming pool and my favourite a Coronation Street themed bar.
This was an incredible site until a few years ago when it became trashed virtually overnight. Now many of the buildings are locked up.

As for our visit, we decided to scout it out one evening before taking our cameras in. Biggest regret of my life as the mist not only provided us with cover but would have made some cracking images. Anyway next day we come back, clamber through a hole creep round a corner to find myself being dragged to the floor by my buddy. She's seen a person and I've seen a dog cross our path. Hastily escaping back onto the road we wander round the outskirts for a while and then after seeing no signs of life go back in. We knew the swimming pool was open so headed straight for that. Unfortunately by this point the light was bad so my images aren't great. After about 20 minutes we both get that feeling that it's time to leave and it most definitely was. Walking back to the hole, we see headlights driving towards us hence two panicked rabbits in headlights moment see me leap into a dead end and getting caught. Told to leave sharpish and the next day maintenance was on site filling in all the holes that had accumulated along the fence.

Again apologies for my images, I wasn't prepared for the poor light.

DSC_0548.jpg

First Stop: All important washing room...

DSC_0556.jpg

No holiday is complete without a themed pub

DSC_0557.jpg

Whilst no trip to the beach is complete without a game of crazy golf...

DSC_0562.jpg

DSC_0571.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Looks a good place well done on getting in. Pity you didn't get a few more pics :thumb