real time web analytics
Report - - Henderson Hall Newcastle Upon Tyne February 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Henderson Hall Newcastle Upon Tyne February 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MarkusCP87

Undiscovered locations in the UK
28DL Full Member
This was a very difficult place to get inside and surprised I didn't break a rib and as we were leaving we greeted by the boys in blue, however they were pretty chill.
Unfortunately one side of the building was inaccessible due to a lot of locked doors, however the main hall was itself was beautiful.
No vandalism and a bit of natural decay was present. Was nice to see the Halls original features still intact.
The halls that were next to this one have been demolished.

Rowan Atkinson and Bryan Ferry are two of the 80 or so former Durham and Newcastle University students who have contributed their recollections of life at Henderson Hall and Basil Edward Quartermaine Smith, its remarkable and influential Warden for 24 years . Author Chris Foote-Wood has compiled a comprehensive history of Henderson Hall, built in 1932 to house male students at what was then Armstrong College, later King s College of Durham University which became Newcastle University in 1963. Henderson Hall, now a listed building, originally housed just 90 students until new extensions were built in 1962. Basil Smith resisted admitting female student residents until being forced to concede in 1979. Living at Henderson was very much akin to halls at Oxbridge and Durham. There was formal dining every week-night ( gowns and bow to the High Table);students were treated as young gentlemen with maid service to clean their rooms and serve at meal-times. Romantic involvement between students and female staff was forbidden on pain of dismissal for both involved. Particularly under Smith s regime, social and artistic life at Henderson Hall flourished with reviews, plays, Smokers, debates, concerts and dances.

Thanks for looking

JNLL

28DL Member
28DL Member
This was a very difficult place to get inside and surprised I didn't break a rib and as we were leaving we greeted by the boys in blue, however they were pretty chill.
Unfortunately one side of the building was inaccessible due to a lot of locked doors, however the main hall was itself was beautiful.
No vandalism and a bit of natural decay was present. Was nice to see the Halls original features still intact.
The halls that were next to this one have been demolished.

Rowan Atkinson and Bryan Ferry are two of the 80 or so former Durham and Newcastle University students who have contributed their recollections of life at Henderson Hall and Basil Edward Quartermaine Smith, its remarkable and influential Warden for 24 years . Author Chris Foote-Wood has compiled a comprehensive history of Henderson Hall, built in 1932 to house male students at what was then Armstrong College, later King s College of Durham University which became Newcastle University in 1963. Henderson Hall, now a listed building, originally housed just 90 students until new extensions were built in 1962. Basil Smith resisted admitting female student residents until being forced to concede in 1979. Living at Henderson was very much akin to halls at Oxbridge and Durham. There was formal dining every week-night ( gowns and bow to the High Table);students were treated as young gentlemen with maid service to clean their rooms and serve at meal-times. Romantic involvement between students and female staff was forbidden on pain of dismissal for both involved. Particularly under Smith s regime, social and artistic life at Henderson Hall flourished with reviews, plays, Smokers, debates, concerts and dances.

Thanks for looking
I was in residence (in New Hall!) 1968-71 and was a visiting Post Grad in 1972 (in Old Hall). Have been chasing University re 'heritage' items which have been catalogued and are presumably in safe keeping. Glad to see that two pictures in Dining Hall are not there and are in protective custody. University has a committee to look into Hall's future - present Covid situation will have stopped proceedings. Need some imagination but sure it can become a jewel in the University's crown again. Was shown round Hall (legitimately!) some years ago; Warden's House still has original 1930s' bath.

mehere

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was in residence (in New Hall!) 1968-71 and was a visiting Post Grad in 1972 (in Old Hall). Have been chasing University re 'heritage' items which have been catalogued and are presumably in safe keeping. Glad to see that two pictures in Dining Hall are not there and are in protective custody. University has a committee to look into Hall's future - present Covid situation will have stopped proceedings. Need some imagination but sure it can become a jewel in the University's crown again. Was shown round Hall (legitimately!) some years ago; Warden's House still has original 1930s' bath.
1971 to 1974 for me - in Old Hall and, yes, I was there with Rowan A - we were chums at the time - worked with him on the stage in Old Hall [the Revue]. .we all KNEW he was just amazing and destined to go a long way. I recall his on-stage impersonation [while only 18] of the Warden Basil Smith - it was simply extraordinary..

Attachments

• DSC00049.JPG
    DSC00049.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC00047.JPG
    DSC00047.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00043.JPG
    DSC00043.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 58

Tony Wright

28DL Member
28DL Member
I was in the old Hall 1961-2 and 64-5 and the new building in between. I enjoyed all my time there and the ease of mixing work and recreation, the latter including smokers and sherry parties with BEQS. Always got on well with him although a bit strained when I put one of his windows through with a snowball. Also snooker after dinner and the eternal rotating volley ball games during exam periods. Thanks for the pictures although the place inevitably looks smaller now. The views of the upstairs corridor reminds me of the battle on our staircase during the invasion by Eustace Percy during Rag week.

JNLL

28DL Member
28DL Member
In answer to Francis: I visit site fairly frequently. University says that Hall's future is being considered maybe with re-purposing being attached to the sports fields in Cochrane Park and Sports in the University in general. I know that a professional architect / conservationist is asking the right questions and making points, e.g. 'Why is the building not being heated to prevent decay?'. Hoardings still round it though looks as if grass within hoardings being cut. The University's approach to HH is in sharp contrast to the way it has looked after and revamped the Armstrong Building on Campus. 'Heritage' does not extend, it seems, so far out. The two pics show Hall from roughly site of Rapers block and then through a keyhole in the hoarding (both earlier in 2023). The only part of Professor Napper's 1963 building left is the gate with pavements on Red Hall Drive. This gate plus the original ones for HH / Armstrong College in the 1930s on Etherstone Avenue require attention. John (1968-71 and Visiting Post Grad in 1972)

20211002_133933_001.jpg

HH 1.23.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 421) View details