real time web analytics
Report - - Hermitage Mill, Mansfield - May 2013 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hermitage Mill, Mansfield - May 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
I’ll admit to being easily distracted, but that doesn’t excuse me for this.
I wrote the report and uploaded the photos to PB 2 years ago and then didn’t post it.
At the time I probably thought it looked shite – that happened quite a lot back then!
I guess I’m a little less uptight now.

Anyway, Hermitage Mill. A relaxed solo wander on a sunny day round a mixture of very empty buildings.

History
Hermitage Mill is a Grade II listed structure built by the 4th Duke of Portland.

It started life as a cotton-spinning factory in 1803, and by 1848 was manufacturing high-quality embroidery thread for the world-renowned company, Taylor’s of Leicester.

By 1894, hosiery manufacturers Samuel Eden & Son were leasing the mill,
and eventually bought it from the Portland Trustees in 1912.

However, the mill was sold to Clumber Building Supplies in the 1950s, who in turn sold it to Buildbase. Buildbase ceased trading in December 2008.

Recent History
It has stood derelict for nearly six years, but the Hermitage Mill Trust say it is a race against time to preserve the grade II-listed structure as it continues to deteriorate.

Members of the registered charity have been working as far back as 2005 to secure its future, and have a grand vision of transforming it into a modern facility set against a strong historical background.

Eventually it could boast a heritage area, exhibition space, office units, corporate meeting and lecture rooms and retail, including a restaurant.

Trust member and conservation architect Peter Rogan said the group has a ‘robust case’ for preservation, and has the backing of Mansfield District Council which has earmarked the site for employment purposes.

Peter said: “It’s the last surviving mill on the River Maun with great heritage potential.

Yet its architectural significance has great merit, according to the trust, who say two unique wheelpits have survived intact, along with original iron column structure supports and original roof timbers.

The adjoining mill ponds offer what the trust describe as an ‘extra dimension’ to the redevelopment, and could eventually offer up a park environment for the public, and become a wildlife hotspot.

Detailed drawings have been put together in a report published by the trust, who estimate the overall cost of the scheme could fetch £7m.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

1.jpg

13.jpg

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
I don't, but 30 seconds research shows...

Google streetview (June 2015) looks the same

A Google search for Hermitage Mill, Mansfield has this report at the top.

Local council planning website has no recent listing.

Hermitage Mill Trust's last post is copied above.

Why don't you go and have a look, then you can tell us?

Man_on_the_moon

28DL Member
28DL Member
I don't, but 30 seconds research shows...

Google streetview (June 2015) looks the same

A Google search for Hermitage Mill, Mansfield has this report at the top.

Local council planning website has no recent listing.

Hermitage Mill Trust's last post is copied above.

Why don't you go and have a look, then you can tell us?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Sounds like a capital idea. I shall visit the site as soon as possible.

ben hermitage

28DL Member
28DL Member
hi, just thought id let you know demolition work is currently starting on this site, due to the amount of vandalism from local kids to the mill itself the police are doing regular checks on it over night and at weekends when the workmen arent there