real time web analytics
Report - - HF4 blast furnace and train workshop, Charleroi - August 2020 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - HF4 blast furnace and train workshop, Charleroi - August 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Nathan.H

https://www.flickr.com/photos/184673330@N08/
28DL Full Member
History

The "Haut Fourneau 4" (Blast furnace 4 in french) is a blast furnace of Marcinelle, Charleroi. It produced 6000 tonnes of cast iron per day for the rolling mill sites at La Louvière and Clabecq. A blast furnace is a type of metallurgical furnace used for smelting to produce industrial metals, generally iron. In 2008 the nearby cokes factory closed its doors. So the factory has to import coke which as of poor quality and very expensive. Then the car industry almost collapsed, it was one of the most important buyers of the Charleroi iron to make steel. The site was put on stand-by in late 2008, waiting for better times and the restart of the coke plant. In 2011 it became clear the furnace would never be ignited again. Today the owner and city are debating to keep the blast furnace as industrial monument or to demolish the site.

Pictures

The train workshop

This is where the trains used on the site were maintained, the locos are in a surprisingly good condition.

DSC_0188-HDR.jpg

DSC_0193-HDR.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0203-HDR.jpg

DSC_0198-HDR.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

The blast furnace

I had only seen pictures from several years ago where the blast furnace was in perfect condition, so I was surprised to find it in a rather pitiful state. There are only two tuyeres left. We didn't have time to go and see the blowers as we knew that security had spotted us on the cameras.

DSC_0225-HDR.jpg

DSC_0224-2.jpg

DSC_0221.jpg

DSC_0219-2.jpg

DSC_0231-HDR.jpg

DSC_0229-HDR.jpg

Last edited:

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Another great set and still worth a visit. Secca really are on it here. Saw their vans buzzing around when I was having a shufty here last November.

ikkdjct

28DL Regular User
Regular User
My car got broken near there so I ended up at the police station before I even set a foot on the site:banghead:banghead Still have not seen it...