real time web analytics
Report - - High Royds Lunatic Asylum, Menston - April 2017 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - High Royds Lunatic Asylum, Menston - April 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbanBloodyBear

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History:
High Royds Hospital is a former psychiatric hospital south of the village of Menston, West Yorkshire, England.
The hospital is located within in the City of Leeds metropolitan borough and was first opened on 8 October 1888 as the West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum. In 1988, Jimmy Savile assaulted a patient at the hospital's 100 anniversary celebrations.

The hospital closed in 2003 and the site has since been developed for residential use, some of which is in the old hospital buildings.

In its final years of operation, High Royds had become outdated and unsuited to modern psychiatric practice. This was acknowledged by the chief executive of Leeds Mental Health in 1999 after complaints from consultants about violence and cramped conditions on the wards. As part of Leeds Mental Health's £47 million reprovision process it was closed, with the wards being relocated to various community mental health units within the city of Leeds in the three years leading up to its closure. These include the Becklin Centre in St James' Hospital and the Mount in the city centre. The hospital was closed in stages between 25 February 2003 and June of the same year.

As of 2011, the site was being redeveloped as a new village, also called High Royds, retaining some features of the hospital such as the ballroom and the clock tower.
Pics:

aHroyds000e6500.jpg

aHroyds001369c3.jpg

aHroyds0027c529.jpg

aHroyds003aa5c4.jpg

aHroyds0044a9db.jpg

aHroyds00529eec.jpg

aHroyds00681dd2.jpg

aHroyds0073533f.jpg

aHroyds008a17ea.jpg

aHroyds00906eec.jpg

aHroyds010f5530.jpg

aHroyds01162303.jpg

aHroyds0120b4ea.jpg

aHroyds0131036a.jpg

aHroyds01456f63.jpg

aHroyds0153c044.jpg

aHroyds016b5197.jpg

aHroyds017a74a2.jpg

aHroyds01805395.jpg

aHroyds0191b8b2.jpg

explorerjaeso

28DL Member
28DL Member
tried to get in there today. Nowhere to get in and CCTV everywhere so didn't manage to do it. Anybody recently found a way in?

mrbrian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
when i went, a while back, i found that the cctv was not actually monitored, all the cables ran into the tower and some old knackered gear that wasn't plugged in. they could obviously have sorted this and made the place secure easily enough since then, the access was a very simple walk through an unlocked door

Fuzzball

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Does anybody know if this place still accessible or has it since been renovated?

Hi, it's been completely renovated now I believe. The development is called Chevin Park. Good to know, and it's really cool seeing interior pictures of it now compared to those on 28Days. But, darn that would have been fantastic to explore. I plan on visiting the new site though, see what they've done.
https://www.avanthomes.co.uk/find-your-new-home/chevin-park/ This is the new development. There's also floor plans of how they've refurbed the admin block, and this can then be compared with the floor plans of admin when the place was still the hospital.

Deepdale

28DL Member
28DL Member
does anyone know the history of roles the Deepdale building was used for during the Menston Hospital duration?
only interested in this one building but cannot find it mentioned in any documents/web sites I‘ve found to date.

Who has read this thread (Total: 223) View details