real time web analytics
Report - - Hillhead (Edlingham) Tunnel. May 2015 | Underground Sites | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hillhead (Edlingham) Tunnel. May 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JordanT92

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fantastic photos of the tunnel. I've just put my own report along with some photos I took several months ago. It's good that the brickwork is generally 'clean' making it a lot more photogenic than Sandsend for example. Again, great stuff.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fantastic photos of the tunnel. I've just put my own report along with some photos I took several months ago. It's good that the brickwork is generally 'clean' making it a lot more photogenic than Sandsend for example. Again, great stuff.

Cheers mate, yeah Sandsend has way too thick a layer of soot for many decent pics over a large portion of the tunnel, due to the notorious steep gradient the trains had to struggle up.

It"s documented that the Crews had to trial special masks that picked up so called "cleaner air" from the track-bed level rather than being suffocated in the huge amount of smoke as the Trains crawled along. I think it"s the thickest layer i"ve seen so far in a Railway Tunnel so far.

JordanT92

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers mate, yeah Sandsend has way too thick a layer of soot for many decent pics over a large portion of the tunnel, due to the notorious steep gradient the trains had to struggle up.

It"s documented that the Crews had to trial special masks that picked up so called "cleaner air" from the track-bed level rather than being suffocated in the huge amount of smoke as the Trains crawled along. I think it"s the thickest layer i"ve seen so far in a Railway Tunnel so far.

No problem at all. Yeah I only took a few light painted photos of the tunnel and spent more time trying to get good ones of the adits which I find to be fascinating. The gradient is very noticeable and as you say that's why the soot is so thick.

Very interesting. They also built two extra shafts if I'm not mistaken which proves how bad it was.

Hillhead is completely the opposite, though getting down that bank hanging on to that rope is quite something.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No problem at all. Yeah I only took a few light painted photos of the tunnel and spent more time trying to get good ones of the adits which I find to be fascinating. The gradient is very noticeable and as you say that's why the soot is so thick.

Very interesting. They also built two extra shafts if I'm not mistaken which proves how bad it was.

Hillhead is completely the opposite, though getting down that bank hanging on to that rope is quite something.

Yeah the cutting is very deceptive to say the least, it was raining heavy when i came out which made for a interesting climb back up. Got to have faith in peoples knots ;)