real time web analytics
Report - - Edlingham (Hillhead) Tunnel - 19 September 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Edlingham (Hillhead) Tunnel - 19 September 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RetroGamerVX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all,

There will be a video up later this week but, in the mean time...an interesting experience. It's a very forboding place, mainly due to the nearly impassible approaches to it. They are heavily overgrown and boggy to the point that at one point, I sat down and assessed if I should continue, and that's in Summer!! Would not like to try this in Winter, although it was considerably drier than the report I've seen that was done in May!. Bumped into the farmer as I was walking down the farm road, I explained what I was upto and asked if it was ok to cross his fields. He said it was no problem and gave me directions!!

History..... (from Forgottenrelics.com)

In 1881, plans to extend the Rothbury branch northwards to Cornhill - known as the Central Northumberland Railway - faced vigorous opposition from the traders of Alnwick, fearful that valuable agricultural traffic from Wooler would disappear to rival markets in Rothbury. And so, with some reluctance, the North Eastern Railway was prompted to promote its own 36-mile line from the existing terminus at Alnwick to Cornhill via Wooler. The company's proposal was by far the cheaper and an enabling Act passed through Parliament on 19th May 1882. Having cost £272,266 to build, communities along the route joined the age of the train on 5th September 1887.

One-and-a-quarter miles north of Edlingham Station, the railway was forced to penetrate a ridge at Hill Head. This involved a tunnel of 351 yards (structure number AKC/55) - curving slightly westwards at its southern extreme before adopting a straight course. Built for the route's single line, it was lined entirely in red brick which came from a local brickworks, connected to the construction site by a two-mile tramway. Numerous ample refuges were provided as well as two ventilation shafts, 4 feet in diameter. These have concrete rings at their bases. The portals are similar in design - both fashioned from stone, with buttresses and triangular wing walls either side of the entrances.

Long term, the route was not a roaring commercial success. Passenger services were withdrawn on 22nd September 1930, just 43 years after they started; the section of line through the tunnel closed completely on 2nd March 1953.

Today the tunnel suffers from water ingress. Despite weep holes being cut into the lining, large patches of brickwork have spalled. At times, the flow has clearly been sufficient to scour a channel in the floor. Despite this, the structure generally appears to be in reasonable condition. Its approach cuttings are however muddy and choked with vegetation.

DSCF5142.jpg

DSCF5170.jpg

DSCF5169.jpg

DSCF5167.jpg

DSCF5166.jpg

DSCF5145.jpg

DSCF5147.jpg

DSCF5148.jpg

DSCF5149.jpg

DSCF5150.jpg

DSCF5151.jpg

DSCF5153.jpg

DSCF5154.jpg

DSCF5155.jpg

DSCF5156.jpg

DSCF5157.jpg

DSCF5158.jpg

DSCF5159.jpg

DSCF5160.jpg

DSCF5161.jpg

DSCF5162.jpg

DSCF5163.jpg

DSCF5164.jpg

Last edited:

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As you"ve been a member for over 2 years now i would have expected you to include some History of the Tunnel as everyone else does when posting reports up, and indeed the last post from here did.............. which was very good i may add ;)

Looks like you either need a decent Torch or some light painting skills if you"re gonna do Tunnels

RetroGamerVX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As you"ve been a member for over 2 years now i would have expected you to include some History of the Tunnel as everyone else does when posting reports up, and indeed the last post from here did.............. which was very good i may add ;)

Looks like you either need a decent Torch or some light painting skills if you"re gonna do Tunnels
Yep, didnt put history in as it was already in last post, but......(re-edit coming)

This tunnel is extremely dark, this was lit with a 1 million candle torch and a floodlight for the video when that comes and here, just a flash. Lighting looks fine too me, don't want to light up the entire tunnel!!, that wouldn't be reflective of the environment.