real time web analytics
Report - - HM Prison - Bullwood Hall - Essex - November 2016 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - HM Prison - Bullwood Hall - Essex - November 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

S

Supersonic

History

Bullwood hall was built back in the 1960's and was originally used as a woman's borstal, over the years it began to accommodate adult prisoners. It served as a woman's prison up until 2006 when it was decided that Bullwood Hall would be turned into a Category C male prison, primarily due to the lack of male prisons at that time.

In 2002 the prison was featured in a series of documentaries called 'The Real Bad Girls' this focused on the lives of the woman living inside the prison, although this documentary showed the prison in a good way, it was condemned in 2005 for still using the act of 'slopping out' and also had high levels of self harm and attempted suicides.

On January 10th 2013 the MOJ (Ministry Of Justice) announced 7 British prisons were to close by the summer of that year and Bullwood Hall was on the list to go. By 28th March 2013 the prison closed its doors for the last time.

Today

Today the prison sits on the outskirts of Hockley woods empty. As of November 2015 the land has been bought by a housing company which has had the green light for 60 homes to be built on the land. But nothing has been done with the decaying buildings of bullwood yet.

In September/October 2016 a group of squatters managed to gain entry into the prison and stage a protest about homelessness in the area.

The Explore

So, this place from what i could see had never been done at all and seemed like a right arse to get into.

i had initially taken a look at bullwood hall about a month before and was nicely confronted by around about 5 dog security vans and a few dogs going absolutely mental inside the complex.
Fuck, we'd failed.
The security vans so kindly blocked the way back up the access road so the only way back to the car was through the woods behind the prison which are a lot harder to navigate when its dark and when you're wading through waist high brambles with only a pair of old vans on!

So after the squatters had gone we left it a few weeks and decided to go and try bullwood again. To our luck, security weren't there so we thought this is our chance. After going round the back and yet again wading through more brambles we decided to go and check the hole in the fence that we'd been tipped off about. To our surprise, the hole had been welded over with a sheet of metal, fuck sakes!
Failed YET AGAIN.

After trying again the next day, we spotted our way in. after spending about an hour freezing our arses off outside, we were inside the main complex and made a dash for the nearest building. Finally we were inside bullwood! Yes! We were immediately greeted with the most depressing place you could think of spending time *insert daily mail quote*. But none the less, inside.

It was clear to see the signs of the squatters, every brick and panel was covered in graffiti. Broken doors and just shit lying everywhere inside the grounds.

We worked our way towards the main sight, the cells, to which we were a bit disappointed, everything was gutted! Don't get me wrong it was cool to be inside, i think we had high hopes that just didn't deliver!

After spending a bit of time in there we wondered out to what we thought was a greenhouse but ended up being an old swimming pool that was covered up by loads of wooden panels.

This place was really hard to picture, partly to do with the fact there was hardly any light at all in there and had to rely on the cameras! Also i think paranoia set in and we were constantly stopping to ask 'did anyone else hear that'?

Explored this one with the usual crew @mockney reject @UrbanDuck @slayaaaa & @DRZ_Explorer

Anyway, enough of me chatting bollocks, sorry for the rubbish quality of the pics!

Enjoy.

31045750610_6a6b52c8e9_b.jpg

31270328082_d3c099500c_b.jpg

30607874783_66c3bd149b_b.jpg

31270313392_0997c3ccc7_b.jpg

31270289302_6b71ac136b_b.jpg

31379040406_086c903b19_b.jpg

30593723224_667d4f2daf_b.jpg

31045672100_fd1c8b7338_b.jpg

30593748764_24ef26eb6c_b.jpg

31379076866_7acfe8f9cb_b.jpg

31270297022_e2e0199e48_b.jpg

31415020605_e8638d271d_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DRZ_Explorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report I'm with you the depressing part I'd had high hopes for the place only for them to be somewhat dashed. Glad we did it still. But onwards and upwards to bigger and better places !!!!