real time web analytics
Report - - Holdings Country Pottery - Oswaldtwsitle, Lancashire - Apr 2022 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Holdings Country Pottery - Oswaldtwsitle, Lancashire - Apr 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Nyrian

Banned
Banned
Holdings Country Pottery was founded circa 1898 on a large clay deposit. It used its own clay, which was dug, blended, washed and processed for the potters wheel. The factory opened its doors to visitors so that they could see the craftsmen creating Waldian Ware in the traditional way but that didn't stop it's eventual closure. The family tradition was started by James Holding in 1842 a mile or so from the present site. The Pottery then proceeded to stay within the family as generations passed and took over management of the factory. I don't know when the place became abandoned but judging by the dates on some newspapers and school books it could be as much as 20 years which makes the condition of the place quite remarkable. We've seen 5 year old places completely trashed.

The explore was an interesting one as there were 'Private Land' signs all over the entrance road and someone had tarmaced a driveway over the 'Public Footpath' although the green arrow sign was still there. I think the owner panicked because he came out pretty quick as we stared at the sign and his driveway in turn. He told us we were more than welcome to walk through his driveway. (Even though he had electric gates at either end that had to be opened and closed!)

There were fences up around the pottery land area but one section was damaged so easy access. However, when we tried to get out someone had been and repaired the fence within the hour we'd been exploring. I won't disclose how we got out. But no-one was there to confront us about being in there and the driveway owner guy said it had nothing to do with him. Do ghosts fix fences?

namesign.jpg

The place consists of a main pottery building, a residence, and some barns. The residence still had most white goods, clothes, books, and the table still had cups and plates like they'd just walked out.

potterylivinroom.jpg

potterykitchen.jpg

bookclosed.jpg

Anyone know one of these handsome people?

photo.jpg

suitcase.jpg

piano.jpg

I found this little card way more interesting than anyone else I've shown the picture to. It's a legit old fashioned 'credit card'!

creditcard.jpg

The pottery machinery section had hundreds of pots that were never sold and dozens more trays of moulds. Again looks like they just walked away.

potsfloor.jpg

potterymachine.jpg

risksign.jpg

smileyunit.jpg

tywriter.jpg

Even the outside barns are still completely full of stuff.

potterybarn.jpg

Although the girl is in many of the photos, she rushed around the site and ended up spending most of the time sitting in the livingroom reading the childrens school books. This is still one of her favourite explores because of that.

scrappy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
i have thought of stopping by and having a look how this has aged. it still looks rather nice. well done.