real time web analytics
Report - - Holme Bank Chert Mine - Bakewell, Derbyshire [August 2016] | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Holme Bank Chert Mine - Bakewell, Derbyshire [August 2016]

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
History
Holme Bank was the last of two operational chert mines in Derbyshire the other being the Pretoria Mine, both at Bakewell. The chert bed lies on a 1 in 3.7 gradient and the mine was subject to flooding in severe winters. Illumination was by mains electricity in addition to carbide lamps carried by the miners.

The Explore
Being a mine virgin previously I tagged along with @mineorluke and a few other guys who may or may not be members here... I don't have a clue :p Overall it was an interesting day out, and after stopping by Middleton, we headed to Bakewell, via Matlock for some chips. After a bit trouble losing each other on the way in, and a nosey local telling us "you can't park here, its residential..", we found a place to park our small convoy.

So after locating an entrance we headed inside. It definitely is quite a photogenic mine, but also somewhat unnerving when you're walking under old wooden beams that are bending, and sections propped up with wood and stone piles. We didn't spend too long in the mine due to this, some of the sections we passed through looked far from safe, and I'm sure I heard a cracking noise after passing under one beam. Another section had a recent (so the other guys said) partial roof collapse, so we headed back out and found another entrance to avoid it.

The Photos

29289766486_b6a02050c9_k.jpg

29244648881_6e2cee62c2_k.jpg

29289726836_2717e6ba81_k.jpg

28700540984_5b7d9389c8_k.jpg

29035690090_85edfad5c7_k.jpg

29035645450_acc26aee34_k.jpg

29215203842_f0863119f1_k.jpg

29289698366_b10d635a67_k.jpg

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
The place had suffered hat looked like fresh falls last year so you are right to be a little worried,that or just try and avoid looking at the roof ,nice pics there mate !

Wanderingmellon

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Whent for a mooch around there a few months ago and found a ten bag of weed at a dead end ! Couldn't believe it haha. I had just ran out as well thank you whoever lost it !

Sirsmokealot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Also visited these mines over the weekend and it was amazing, since this all i have been doing is looking for places to explore any good ideas? Notts/derby way

Tobin

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Also visited these mines over the weekend and it was amazing, since this all i have been doing is looking for places to explore any good ideas? Notts/derby way
Add me on facebook.. my explore group are recruiting atm and you name suggests you will fit in just fine haha...

Luke terry O'Brien

Tobin

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
How does that work exactly,would i need to send my CV off in advance or do i just turn up for the interview ?
Hahahaha... just turn up for an interview and if you fit certain criteria and pass the initiation stage your in....

Add me on facebook for more details lmao

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Excellent..been a while since I've attended an interview ,I'll be sure to dress to impress :D

Last edited:

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Add me on facebook.. my explore group are recruiting atm and you name suggests you will fit in just fine haha...

Luke terry O'Brien

How does that work exactly,would i need to send my CV off in advance or do i just turn up for the interview ?

Hahahaha... just turn up for an interview and if you fit certain criteria and pass the initiation stage your in....

Add me on facebook for more details lmao

Excellent..been a while since I've attended an interview ,I'll be sure to dress to impress :D

When did Urban Exploration become professional :p