real time web analytics
Report - - Holme Bank chert mine - January 2022 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Holme Bank chert mine - January 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Timmmy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've just stumbled across some pictures from my first ever mine explore. This site is now fully gated and requires the landowners permission to obtain the key. As all of my posts here, i've been a long time lurker and only just started putting some reports up. Im sure i'll get better as time goes on.

Other people here have doccumented the history before but heres a little snippet before we start the good stuff.

A Brief History of Bakewell Chert Mine

Holme Bank was the last of two operational chert mines in Derbyshire the other being the Pretoria Mine, both at Bakewell. Access was from adits in a quarry at Bank Top and the steep workings extended beneath the road to connect with the earlier Greenfield shaft. The chert bed lies on a 1 in 3.7 gradient and the mine was subject to flooding in severe winters. Illumination was by mains electricity in addition to carbide lamps carried by the miners.

Chert is a form of fine-grained, flinty silica most commonly found in veins in the uppermost beds of a limestone sequence. Chert was worked into tools in prehistoric times, easily shaped by chipping off flakes to produce sharp edges.

The most useful role for chert was recognised about two centuries ago for the grinding of calcined flint, used as a whitening agent in earthenware manufacture. In 1772 the potter Josiah Wedgwood recommended Derbyshire chert as a major improvement over granite millstones, which left annoying black specks in the pure white flint.

The chert bed was on average 9 ft (2.7 m) thick, though up to 18 ft (5.5 m) in places. It was extracted by removing the underlying limestone so that the chert fell under its own weight. A hoist powered by compressed air loaded it onto flat wagons, drawn to the surface by compressed air winches along a 1 ft 6 in (46 cm) gauge railway. The ‘waste’ limestone was built up into substantial roof supports.

Early 19th-century extraction at Holme Bank was from quarries but commercial mining was in place by 1867, when the site was known as Bakewell Chert Mine.

Later it was also referred to as Smith's Mine, after the owner. The workings consisted of an extensive system of passages with eight entrances.

In 1925, 41 men were employed but 20 years later only 21 were at work. Approximately half worked underground. Between the two World Wars, mining broke out on the surface, enabling the chert to be quarried alongside limestone. In its later years Holme Bank met a considerable demand for poultry grit. The mine closed between 1959 and 1961 but a block-making plant, trading as Smith’s Runners, remained in operation, using existing supplies of chert.

In recent years the few underground visitors to Holme Bank Mine have included cave divers, using the clear subterranean waters for training purposes.

Onto the explore... so this place is a proper rabbit warren. As soon as you turn around it looks completely different in some places. From the quarry entrance theres only 1 passage marked the 'm1 passage' on the survey that will actually get you down to the lower levels without the use of the keys/gates further down the hill. The survey I found is also not that accurate with extra passages not marked down and some passages lost to backfill and/or callopse. It's been a while now so ill just post all my better pictures here in no particular order.

Screenshot_20230806-002405_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230806-002414_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230806-003037_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230806-002438_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230806-002502_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230806-002427_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230806-002450_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230806-002858_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230806-003027_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230806-144715_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230806-002455_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230806-002431_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230806-144705_Lightroom.jpg

Screenshot_20230806-144439_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230806-144424_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230806-144409_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230806-144401_Gallery.jpg

Thanks for reading another one of my posts. If all goes to plan there will be plenty more to come. Maybe one or two of the experianced folk round here fancy a day out somewhere 😊.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Lots of local clubs mate to help you progress . This is the best way to go for mine exploring / caving . Did you meet the nice chap at the caravan ?

Timmmy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lots of local clubs mate to help you progress . This is the best way to go for mine exploring / caving . Did you meet the nice chap at the caravan ?
No i cant say we met anyone at the caravan but my focus was up at the quarry. Im currently thinking about joining the club in the peaks and actually meeting everyone this time around. I joined a couple of years ago and only managed to get down to 1 trip with a busy weekend schedule. Im much more available these days.

Subsurface_explorer

28DL Member
28DL Member
Cheers, it would be really cool to see the other half of the mine thats underwater now.
It’s a really nice dive , super shallow in terms of depth in the water column but still poses all the dangers of the overhead environment , had the pleasure of diving there a few times now , great little mine but bloody cold 🥶 haha