real time web analytics
Report - - Hoo Fort, River Medway - September 2021 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hoo Fort, River Medway - September 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
The History

Hoo Fort was one of the many Palmerston Forts built across the country following the 1859 Royal Commission on the Defence of the United Kingdom, which decided that hundreds of forts and batteries should be built across the UK's coastline incase of an invasion by France, named after Lord Palmerston the Prime Minister. It's questionable if this was ever worth it as each fort is of considerable stone construction and arguably 'had no practical value' with the invasion risk seeming unlikely. The scheme must've cost many millions in tax, especially during a time of such social disparity. Hope Fort itself was one of the forts built surrounding Chatham to defend the Royal Dockyard, and Fort Darnet was built similarly to Hoo in the mouth of the Medway. The fort was completed in 1871 for one tier of eleven 9-inch rifled muzzle loading guns facing 360 degrees, although another storey above was also proposed. The lower level was for accomodating the troops.

hoo-and-darnett-forts-on-the-medway-kent-1888-the-illustrated-london-KGX9P5~2.jpg

The Explore

It began very early on a late summers morning to catch the tide and allow enough time to get back at the next tide after exploring. I was very hungover after having been out for a curry and more than a few drinks the night previous. We successfully canoed to the island, and finally made it to the fort to find it's lower level unusually flooded. Being the only one with waders, I had to lead the way across the underwater drawbridge pit and lend my tripod for balance, directing the party of three across the rubble 'stepping stones' bridging the gap. Pretty gnarly, I'm glad I didn't have to go across in my trousers. Once inside we were immediately met with a stunning Indiana Jones-esque image of a lost temple -a green layer of pond-weed floated on the water's surface at the foot of the fort's monolithic central column, crumbling ornate brick archways stood overhead and a set of ivy-covered old brick steps lead up Infront of us. We explored both levels and found barely any graffiti. It made for excellent photography material and was truly stunning.

Our way back would be less smooth. As we got back to the boats after walking across the largely abandoned island, we realised the tide was already coming in. Damn! We tried to get the boat out several feet across the mud but started sinking into the thick black and very soft layer of silt, a lot less firm than what I'm used to on the Essex side of the Thames which you can just about walk on. Long story short, we only had a brunch bar each in our bags and had to survive on foraged blackberries and samphire until 8pm when it started to get dark. We built a jetty of wooden debris out into the river to get us as close as possible when the tide came near, and swiftly rowed across the Medway. It got extremely dark and choppy very fast and we got swept further down the coast, so had to fight the tide to make it to the slipway guided only by the distant light of a sailing club. It was my birthday the next day and frankly I felt lucky to see 25.

FB_IMG_1683131829896.jpg

FB_IMG_1683131606501.jpg

FB_IMG_1683131608862.jpg

FB_IMG_1683131613017.jpg

FB_IMG_1683131615111.jpg

FB_IMG_1683131619085.jpg

FB_IMG_1683131623194.jpg

FB_IMG_1683131625720.jpg

FB_IMG_1683131630585.jpg

FB_IMG_1683131633290.jpg

FB_IMG_1683131639369.jpg

FB_IMG_1683131651839.jpg

FB_IMG_1683131656282.jpg

FB_IMG_1683131662456.jpg

FB_IMG_1683131668922.jpg

FB_IMG_1683131672417.jpg

FB_IMG_1683131674789.jpg

FB_IMG_1683131677717.jpg

Wastelandr

Regular User
Fan-fort-tastic and we'll worth the effort.
Cheers! Certainly worth the effort, one of the most photogenic naturally-decaying military bits I've visited. Also just realised viewing on desktop the photo quality has been crunched so apologies folks

Wastelandr

Regular User
Another cracking report mate. Your photos really give it that feeling of a place that is truly derelict and forgotten.
Cheers Mikey, spent a lot of time taking these and I bracketed them all! Was surreal standing in the bottom of this in silence amongst the water just fully immersed taking pics. Even had to edit them all twice as they got corrupted on a failed hard drive :(

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Not seen this in a while. Very nicely covered. I love the look of this place. Always wanted to go. So so photogenic. One day maybe.

Lndnpdd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely captured, its been a while since I last went to htis fort. You should give Fort Darnet a go as well, a much tricker paddle but worth it as you can paddle into the fort itself

Wastelandr

Regular User
Nicely captured, its been a while since I last went to htis fort. You should give Fort Darnet a go as well, a much tricker paddle but worth it as you can paddle into the fort itself
Cheers yeah I still haven't done it, managed to get a shot of it from Hoo