real time web analytics
Report - - Hope Street Finance Building plus a little hidden gem - Glasgow Feb 2014 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hope Street Finance Building plus a little hidden gem - Glasgow Feb 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

rreK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Walking home from a night out one day I found my way into this place. Returning a few weeks later with my camera and a more sober disposition I found what must have been a Finance or Lawyers building.

I found out that it was originally built in the early 1900s (1904-07) and was meant to be offices in the lower levels and artist studios in the top floors. It housed the Italian Consulate up until it was evacuated for fear of collapse.

http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/details/897874

It was originally closed in 1995, first for demolition, then for repairs, however neither have been done (evidently) and it doesn't seem like anything will ever come of it sadly. The upper floors are actually quite beautiful with big bay windows and high ceilings and just a little bit of bird shit...

The lower levels are pretty destroyed, but as you work your way up everything seems to get older but less destroyed. The fire alarms were pretty cool, each level seemed to go back 10 years.

Some pictures.

IMG_2488-1.jpg

1st floor looking out to Hope Street. Everything down here is trashed, however the old safes are pretty interesting if you fancy a look.

IMG_2531.jpg

1990's Fairy liquid.

IMG_2523-1.jpg

Obligatory peeling wallpaper.

I was a little disappointed with this explore, and just as I was about to give up I found a little door...

IMG_2496-1.jpg

To my surprise it wasn't a little storage cupboard, but a tight little staircase, I wonder what's at the top?

IMG_2500-1.jpg

Cathy's Room apparently. I found records going back well into the 1800s, you could spend hours reading through all this! There were a lot of evidence books as well, murder cases, drug cases, kidnapping, plus the more mundane of course.

IMG_2501-1.jpg

Dated 1806. I found a whole box of wax seals, clearly going way back here.

IMG_2509-1.jpg

You can see some of the seal stamps on the left.

Apologies if this isn't to peoples liking, but I found the records room amazing!

rreK

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looks very interesting indeed.

Any more photos of the documents? My kind of stuff!

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Drug cases? Madders? (In Tagget voice of course :) Kidnapping? .....in Glasgow ? surely not ;)

Rufus T Firefly looks interesting :)

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow looks good! See what the documents are, and maybe a few externals. Cheers for sharing this looks nice. :thumb

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
ooohh nice - old docs and stuff - I like :thumb thanks for sharing proper interesting :)

rreK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
IMG_2513.jpg

The only other one I have, definitely go have a look yourself, I found some bizarre stuff in there!

buhispro

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is awesome, might have a wee look some time. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by a moderator: