real time web analytics
Report - - Hopton Wood Stone Quarry, April 2014 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hopton Wood Stone Quarry, April 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Altair

Poking holes since '84
28DL Full Member
Hopton Wood Stone Quary - aka Middleton Mine.​

Middleton-by-Wirksworth is an upland village lying approximately one mile NNW of Wirksworth, Derbyshire, formerly known for its lead mines and high quality limestone quarries, including the remarkable underground quarry site at Middleton Mine. ‘The Middleton Mine is so remarkable because it networks underground for approximately some 25miles with tunnels on three different levels running under Middleton Moor to the Hopton Wood quarry works at the other side of the hill below Ryder Point Works’.

Middleton Mine is the only underground Limestone mine in the UK. The mine itself is split over three levels and stretches a staggering 22 miles underground. Its unclear when the mine originally opened but its origins date back to when one part of it was used for lead mining. It was only in the 1900s that the mine turned to Limestone mining.

Visited with Juju, Indecisive Moment, Fudge, Petzl, Indy and many more but can't remember, so apologies. Didn't really see much of this place due to the shits and giggles had, anyway on with the few pics that I did manage to get.

DSC_0122_zps0a0c0fb4.jpg

DSC_0123_zps8006dd76.jpg

DSC_0124_zps5d9728eb.jpg

DSC_0126_zps1d96ad11.jpg

DSC_0127_zps17b43fdb.jpg

DSC_0130_zpsa3add2a7.jpg

DSC_0131_zps4ac07300.jpg

DSC_0132_zps9af08c2a.jpg

DSC_0134_zps8a749b1e.jpg

DSC_0135_zpseda1876c.jpg

DSC_0136_zps23a4a1a0.jpg

DSC_0141_zpscb27f4af.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

Altair

Poking holes since '84
28DL Full Member
Thanks for comments everyone :)

Not my car OT but it's a good runner with only a couple of not so careful owners!

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Sorry Ash, I am taking this off topic with the gates thing, wonder Is that car street legal with the air filter and exhaust blocking the drivers view? would they have to be removed and refitted after the MOT.

Altair

Poking holes since '84
28DL Full Member
No worries Kwan. Guessing they would have to be refitted but that's probably the least of its problems, having suffered a rocket attack at one point... :rolleyes:

bubblehead

you lost the game
28DL Full Member
we went up the following weekend after this night and they had put a big pile if concrete behind the hopton end gate. Very annoying seeing as i had left my cheese board and biscuits down there after this night

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Nice shots mate.cars in mines ftw..we had to walk around the old fashioned way ;)

mstarmatt

Northern Monkey
28DL Full Member
Sweet, glad someone got some photos of the night :thumb Think I've just about recovered :D

Might have to head back down soon to check if anythings changed as after a few trips this year it looks like the mine is back in action albeit on a small scale...

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
we went up the following weekend after this night and they had put a big pile if concrete behind the hopton end gate.

To be honest, I'm not surprised. Subtlety wasn't a strong point over all that night, it was a good night thou. :-)