real time web analytics
Report - - Joseph Wood Hat makers Manchester 0423 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Joseph Wood Hat makers Manchester 0423

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bignickb

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Only a week before I was telling someone how I'd love to see the inside of this building, it has been one of my favourite structures in Manchester for ages!
And - by pure chance, I got an opportunity to fulfil my dream! I took the pics with my phone because running home for my camera and gear was not an option, it was a Now or Never scenario.
I couldn't find much info on this place, unfortunately; it was built in 1907 and ran as a Hat factory and hosiery makers!
Built by C Clegg it had three floors with large windows to allow maximum light for the workers.
Up until lockdown it had been a hostel but sadly did not survive, it has been sold and now awaits decisions on it's future. It's not listed but should developers try to remove it and plan to put up a sterile, cheap build tower block - public outcry would prevail. And rightly so!
It's in good condition; not too much damp and certainly no signs of copper thieves.

On with the pics:

Ornate sinks.
IMG_2734b.jpg

Big showers.
IMG_2752b.jpg

Down
IMG_2746b.jpg

I Loved these ceilings!
image12_(1)b.jpg

Old style Loo
image14_(2)b.jpg

image14_(3)b.jpg

Up in the god's!
IMG_2691b.jpg

image18b.jpg

image6_(8)b.jpg

image10_(4)b.jpg

image7_(1)b.jpg

Grim wallpaper!
image3_(20)b.jpg

Central lift
image11_(2)b.jpg

Centre view
image1_(28)b.jpg

image0_(19)b.jpg

I was unsure of the stability so I spent minimal time on these. Plus - I was in full view!
image0_(26)b.jpg

image1_(23)b.jpg

Outside! Isn't it Beautiful!
image2_(20)b.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 225) View details